JCtechnh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

server, domain and PO names match?

Hi All
I'm planning a new server install transferring my existing Linux Groupwise server to a Windows Groupwise server. Do I need to set up the Groupwise domain and PO names to match in order to use the DBCopy'd databases from the old server?
I'm using the Caledonia Move-Upgrade Guide for GW2014, and it seems pretty straightforward, but that is one thing that doesn't seem to be mentioned....
Labels (1)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: server, domain and PO names match?

Hi,

If you are migrating from one server to another then no you don't need to create domains or post offices as you are migrating those that already exist from one server to another. A migration is really a copy of your existing system to a new server... consider it copy and paste.

Perhaps give us a little more detail and we can give you a lot more insight. Also, sorry to ask, are you coming from an Exchange background? I ask so as better to understand your question.

Looking forward to hearing back from you.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
JCtechnh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Thanks for the response.

Yes, I have much more experience in Windows/Exchange than I do in Linux/Groupwise. You may remember my post from a couple of months ago when I was first inquiring about this conversion process:
https://forums.novell.com/showthread.php/499770-Migrate-GW-14-on-SLES-to-Windows-Server

From Danita's book, the process seems simple. In shorthand -- Install new Windows server, install and setup Groupwise, run DBcopy do bring over the databases. But since I am attempting to recreate the "same" email server, but on Windows instead of Linux, I don't know if the databases are linked in anyway to existing PO/Server/Domain names, or if they're completely independent. With the change of the server there will no longer be any sort of novell Edirectory domain, so I guess it's just the PO name that's in question.

Please feel free to ask about anything that I've said doesn't make sense, it's completely possible (probable even!) that I'm missing some key element to this changeover due to simple ignorance of how Groupwise "works."

Thanks
Jim
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi.

Am 03.11.2016 um 20:46 schrieb JCtechnh:
> From Danita's book, the process seems simple. In shorthand -- Install
> new Windows server, install and setup Groupwise, run DBcopy do bring
> over the databases. But since I am attempting to recreate the "same"
> email server, but on Windows instead of Linux, I don't know if the
> databases are linked in anyway to existing PO/Server/Domain names,

They arenÄt linked, they *ARE* the names. You still seem to believe you
setup a new system, you don't. You simply copy the existing system, and
it will be exactly the same as before, there's not even a chance to
change the existing names.

Again, you do *NOT* setup a new System, so you don't even get to pick
any of those names.

CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
CU,
--
Massimo Rosen
Micro Focus Knowledge Partner
No emails please!
http://www.cfc-it.de
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

Indeed, as Massimo has stated, you are copying an existing system, not creating a new one.

It's been awhile since I did my Exchange exams/certification but the process is very different. If memory serves me correctly with Exchange one builds [almost] an entirely new system and then you migrate the data/email/accounts across. With GroupWise you do not create a new system. The copy (DBcopy) copies the entire system, agents, setup, etc from the source server to the destination server.

Please let us know how it goes, or feel free to request further assistance 🙂

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
JCtechnh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@mrosen @laurabuckley
Ahhhh --- light begins to dawn!

Ok -- let's see if I've got a handle on it now:
By running the setup.exe program, and selecting Groupwise Server installation it will install all necessary GW services, directories, etc. (page 43 of Danita's Upgrade Guide if you have it.)
Then, I do not need to continue with the installation console, (because I'm not actually setting up a new server) but I'd continue directly to moving the files using DBcopy. (page 63)
Does that sound right?

Also -- additional question concering the Groupwise server IP addresses: I'm intending on setting up the new server on one IP address, and then after the DBCopy migration step, shutting down the old server and changing the IP address of the new server to that of the old server so that I don't have to hunt down any old router/firewall rules or other potentially unknown configs I may have "inherited". Do you foresee any problems with that?

Regards,
Jim
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Jim,

Indeed you are getting a handle on things.

Just some advice from personal experience, if you want to change the server's IP address, do so before you start your GroupWise agents (after the DB copy). Alternatively, once you've shut down the source server add the "old" ip address as a secondary address to the new server and set your GroupWise agents to bind exclusively to the secondary IP address.

Please do let us know how it goes.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
JCtechnh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Excellent. Thanks much for your help!

I'm planning this for the weekend. Hopefully, it will go nice and smooth and I'll be posting on Monday about how well it went and how you all are GODS!

Regards
Jim
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Jim,

Can hardly wait to hear back from you. Just so you know I do check in on the forums if you have any questions over the weekend.

Cheers,
Laura Buckley

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.