Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

smtp imap4 for mobile access

I'm looking for the best configuration of IMAP/SMTP configuration for mobile access.
The problem is SMTP. Now I have 'Reject if PTR record does not exist' active, but this prevents mobile connections: they don't have RPT.
But the PTR is useful for preventing spam.
I've no clear if it is possible (and how) set a PTR check for all SMTP connections except those with authentication.

Labels (2)
0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: smtp imap4 for mobile access

@restori 

You could setup a second GWIA and grant access to IMAP & SMPT via obscure high ports. You could relax some of your safeguards as access would not be open to the general public. 

_____
Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Who are the Knowledge Partners?
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@restori 

I have another question about your configuration. Is your GWIA directly accessible via Internet or do you have any spam/virus protection in front of your GWIA?

However I do not really understand your problem. PTR protection is for receiving mails. But your mobile devices want to use SMTP as sending service?! So there is no relation ...

Running a second GWIA for special proposes is always a good idea and easier to control!

Diethmar Rimser
If you like my idea or solution, please show it and click i.e. on "Like"!
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@restori 

Hi,

You say for "mobile access" -- are you looking to provide email on mobile devices?

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Yes, via mail app.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

@restori 

I recommend you implement GroupWise Mobility Service (GMS) which is the desired solution as it works with the builtin email apps on mobile devices.

https://www.novell.com/documentation/groupwise18/gwmob18_guide_install/data/inst_front.html

Cheers,

Laura

Laura Buckley

Views/comments expressed here are entirely my own.
If you find this post helpful, please show your appreciation and click on "Like" below...
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Did you consider GMS (GroupWise Mobility Services)?

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

@Rimser

Yes, my GWIA is accessible via the internet. When the client SMTP connection is refused because the rpt check fails.
I'll watch for a second GWIA.

And GroupWise Mobility Services is the other option.

Fabrizio

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Consider to protect your mail environment. It is always a good decision to get rid of spam and of course virus mails. Maybe your internet provider offers a package or your firewall can do it. And you can use SMG (secure message gateway) inside your environment.

Diethmar Rimser
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.