Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

upgrade question

currently at version 1.0 build 115... should we be able to patch to the latest 1.1 patch using yast???
Labels (1)
0 Likes
21 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: upgrade question

On 13/04/2011 15:06, kchurch wrote:

> currently at version 1.0 build 115... should we be able to patch to the
> latest 1.1 patch using yast???

If by YaST you mean via the patch channel then no, the latest you would
be able to update to is 1.0 Update 3 (build 290).

HTH.
--
Simon
Novell Knowledge Partner (NKP)

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

is there a way to update to 1.1 latest patch without a brand new install???
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kchurch wrote:

>
> is there a way to update to 1.1 latest patch without a brand new
> install???

Use the ISO.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner
Enhancement Requests: http://www.novell.com/rms

Joe Marton Emeritus Knowledge Partner
0 Likes
Bob-O-Rama
Visitor.

You use the Apply Patch CD process, as described in the documentation. You insert the CD, go into Yast --> Software --> Patch CD Update .... and run through the process as described in the 1.0 or 1.1 documentation. and it should see the old version is installed and update it. After the code is updated you run an upodate script which massages the database. Its pretty simple. I would update to the latest version of 1.0 then go to 1.1.

One of the pitfall of this process is that it also tries to fully patch your server from the update channel. So you may want to patch your server fully OS wise, and schedule that accordingly, as it can take some time to download and install the OS patches if it has been a while. After the server is fully patched and happy, come back and apply the Data Sync patches, at which point the only "stuff" being installed via the Patch Update CD mechanism is the Data Sync stuff. Also the patch CD process is no as frequently used, so familiarize with the user interface. One thing I find myself compulsively doing is failing to select the package to update from the list presented. 🙂 So it chugs and chugs and does nothing. If you successfully make it through, it will want to update 30 packages, as indicated in the installation summary. It also asks if you want to register your server with the customer center - even if its already set up.

I would be inclined to patch to the latest 1.0 build first, as Simon says, build 290. Once you have confirmed that is happy, move to 1.1.1, which was just released, via the Patch CD.

But to answer your orig. question, no you don;t need to do a clean install, you can upgrade to the latest version via the method described in the DS 1.1.x patch release's documentation.

-- Bob

-- Bob
0 Likes
Highlighted
kautium Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Bob-O-Rama;2096060 wrote:
I would be inclined to patch to the latest 1.0 build first, as Simon says, build 290. Once you have confirmed that is happy, move to 1.1.1, which was just released, via the Patch CD.

System requirements of v1.1 says that "This patch/file is for Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack 1.1 and is to be used only if Mobility Device Management by Notifycorp is being used"

System requirements of v1.1.1 says that "The general system requirements for the Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack 1.1 Update 1 are the same as for the Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack 1.1", so according to the documentation, we should not install v1.1 or v1.1.1 if not using Notifycorp.

I'm guessing that's not correct though...?

We are still using v1.0 build 290, but there are so many issues with it that we need to at least try to fix them and as far as i know, there is nothing else we can do ath the moment, but to update to v1.1.1 and hope for the best.

Groupwise is not evolving and Datasync is just way too unreliable. MS Exchange time is getting closer and closer...
0 Likes
kautium Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kautium;2104591 wrote:
System requirements of v1.1 says that "This patch/file is for Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack 1.1 and is to be used only if Mobility Device Management by Notifycorp is being used"

Forget what i said, that patch seems to be only for "Novell Data Synchronizer Mobility Pack 1.1 Patch for Mobility Device Management by NotifyCorp" and so it is not the initial v1.1 patch. Sorry.
0 Likes
kautium Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kautium;2104591 wrote:
We are still using v1.0 build 290, but there are so many issues with it that we need to at least try to fix them and as far as i know, there is nothing else we can do ath the moment, but to update to v1.1.1 and hope for the best.

Just updated to v1.1.1 using "Patch CD Update" method. Looks like everything is working fine now, but i'm guessing that pretty soon some users start sending emails saying that their devices no longer sync some or all items etc, just like before. 😞

At the moment it looks like we have 235 users and about the same amount of devices, so it is nice to see that Novell increased the amount of users/devices supported per server to 300 (which is still pretty low if you ask me).

Btw. Is there any real need for manual database maintenance? It says pretty much everywhere that PostgreSQL auto_vacuum daemon takes care of basically everything there is to be done and that normally it does not need any extra configuration. Should i coint on that?

PostgreSQL: Documentation: Manuals: PostgreSQL 8.3: Routine Vacuuming -->
Fortunately, The Auto-Vacuum Daemon monitors table activity and performs VACUUMs and ANALYZEs when necessary
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kautium wrote:

> Btw. Is there any real need for manual database maintenance? It says
> pretty much everywhere that PostgreSQL auto_vacuum daemon takes care
> of basically everything there is to be done and that normally it does
> not need any extra configuration. Should i coint on that?

The only thing I do is a nightly backup of the db. Otherwise
everything is on autopilot for the most part. Only had one time where
the db was growing quite large, so I had to go in and do some manual
vacuum stuff to get the db back down to size.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
kautium Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kautium;2104619 wrote:
Just updated to v1.1.1 using "Patch CD Update" method. Looks like everything is working fine now, but i'm guessing that pretty soon some users start sending emails saying that their devices no longer sync some or all items etc, just like before. 😞

And here we go -->
Looks like nothing synchronizes from phones to GW anymore. Message status, calendar items, emails... nothing. Emails transfer to devices and thats it.

Any ideas how to fix this?

We have 235 pissed off users, so we need to do something soon.
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kautium wrote:

> Looks like nothing synchronizes from phones to GW anymore. Message
> status, calendar items, emails... nothing. Emails transfer to devices
> and thats it.
>
> Any ideas how to fix this?
>
> We have 235 pissed off users, so we need to do something soon.

If it's all 235 users, and your POA is 802hp2, open an SR. If your POA
is anything older, update the POA first.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
kautium Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jmarton;2105112 wrote:
If it's all 235 users, and your POA is 802hp2, open an SR. If your POA
is anything older, update the POA first.

Looks like it really is all users. And yes, POA's are 802hp2 (Netware and Linux). Emails flow to devices and so does some calendar items, but nothing flows to GW from devices.

Datasync runs on Vmware and we have a snapshot on VM just before updating, so there is a possibility to roll back to mostly working v1.0 build 290. We're not sure what kind of concequences that might have, so it it the last resort.

We don't have high hopes about opening a Support Request.

I'm really starting to hate Novell for releasing crappy code all the time. 😞
0 Likes
jmarton2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kautium wrote:

> We don't have high hopes about opening a Support Request.

It's what you're going to have to do.

> I'm really starting to hate Novell for releasing crappy code all the
> time. 😞

If it was crappy code, then the problem you're describing would affect
many many customers. Yours is the only one I can think of where no
items sync from devices to GW and affects every single user of that
Mobility installation. Seems more like a problem in your environment.
Many other customers are successfully using Mobility, syncing data
between GroupWise and mobile devices.

--
Novell Knowledge Partner

0 Likes
kautium Absent Member.
Absent Member.

jmarton;2105139 wrote:
If it was crappy code, then the problem you're describing would affect
many many customers.

I think so too, but considering that this forum is full of stories about problems that occur randomly in same kind of environments, it is not very far fetched that this is a problem that could occur for others too.

And yes, i'm sorry to say, but i really think that Novell has produced tons of crap within last years.

jmarton;2105139 wrote:
Seems more like a problem in your environment.

Possibly, but isn't it even a bit weird that this situation occured right after a simple update?

I updated SLES --> reboot --> updated working datasync 1.0 build290 to 1.1.1 (with update.sh) --> reboot --> stuff wont sync from devices to GW anymore

jmarton;2105139 wrote:
Many other customers are successfully using Mobility, syncing data
between GroupWise and mobile devices.

I bet there is not a single customer using datasync without any problems. 1.0 build 290 was pretty stable for us, but still some users were experiencing weird problems with it from time to time.
0 Likes
tschwartzniu Absent Member.
Absent Member.

kautium;2105149 wrote:
I think so too, but considering that this forum is full of stories about problems that occur randomly in same kind of environments, it is not very far fetched that this is a problem that could occur for others too.

And yes, i'm sorry to say, but i really think that Novell has produced tons of crap within last years.

Possibly, but isn't it even a bit weird that this situation occured right after a simple update?

I updated SLES --> reboot --> updated working datasync 1.0 build290 to 1.1.1 (with update.sh) --> reboot --> stuff wont sync from devices to GW anymore

I bet there is not a single customer using datasync without any problems. 1.0 build 290 was pretty stable for us, but still some users were experiencing weird problems with it from time to time.

I too am going to update to version 1.1.1 today from 290. I tried this before and it really screwed up my system ( not sure what happened) I too am running this on a VM and had to roll back to a snapshot. the problem was that the snapshot was taken 20 hours before the messup. Rolling back is fine however your customers will loose any appts on their calendar that were made from the time of the snapshot to the time of the roll back. Easy fix for this is to go to the web admin and choose to resync their device. Then everything will come down (with the exception of re-occuring appts)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.