ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.

CSA Portal progress indicator

Idea ID 1635599

CSA Portal progress indicator

It would be useful for the CSA Portal to display a progress indicator, based on the Events shown under the Operations section in the management console.

6 Comments
Account_Closed
Not applicable

Account_Closed
Not applicable

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

What would that progress indicator show? Percent completed ? Or how many more actions remaining to be executed ?

It will be hard to provide an accurate representation of percent completed as the time required to execute different action would be different, can't be estimated, so such indicator can be misleading.

How many more actions remaining to be executed can be reported for most cases, but there are some exotic service designs where components can be added on the fly as provisioning is happening,  for such cases, it will be difficult to report how many actions are remaining to be executed.

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

i would vote for this. but leave the implemenation up to service designers.

we see great value in this because exactly for complex Services that run long in deployment (e.g. longer then a day) Customers get unpatent when they just see no progress

i suggest that you just provice a % api. so service designer can judge on theire own when they set certain percentage.

also with the Percentage i would add a status message.

so service designer could write 10% -> deploying server

20%-> registering Configitems.

deployment finishing automatically sets to 100%.

from my perspective shoudl be easy to implement for Microfocus and great userexpeience value for MPP users

etc.

Micro Focus Contributor
Micro Focus Contributor

Michael, I fully agree with the proposal to let the service designer to reflect the progress, as the system itself can't determine in a generic way.  With the current notification API it is possible to send periodic progress of the fulfillment, but that notificaiton would show up in the history section which is not very visible upfront. 

So, if we provide a similar API to indicate percent completed and additional message for conveying any additional information and display that in the subscription list overview (and also subscription detail), it would let the service implementer to decide whether they want to implement it or not for their consumer. MPP would display that information if it finds that the information was sent, otherwise it will not display any progress - does that sound reasonable? 

This is easier implementation and would add flexibility to service providers for their consumers/

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

i agree. sounds reasonable

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.