New Ranks & Badges For The Community!
Notice something different? The ranks and associated badges have gone "Star Fleet". See what they all mean HERE
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

(CO) Support Tip: How do you enable DEBUG logging for the Hyper-V Proxy collector for CO?

Hello CO Community,

A number of my previous posts have been about VMware data collection.  Today, I wanted to share something about Hyper-V data collection.

As you know, the Hyper-V and SCVMM data collection for Cloud Optimizer currently uses a Proxy Agent.  This Proxy Agent is installed on a Windows host, runs as the "HP vPV Collector Server", collects information from Hyper-V and SCVMM using WMI calls and forwards it to the CO server.

One hidden piece of information is how to enable debugging on this Proxy Agent.

The configuration file for the Proxy Agent is the "vPVWinVirtCollector.properties" file.  It is not currently documented, but if you add the following entry on a separate line, save the file and restart the "HP vPV Collector Server" service, then debugging will be enabled and added to the vPVWinVirtCollector.log.

# Debug Settings
DEBUG=YES

NOTE:  The additional messages will not have the entry "DEBUG" like the other collectors but they will still have the entry "INFO".

The following knowledge article can provide more information about this process.

KM02819924 - How do you enable DEBUG logging for the Hyper-V Proxy collector for Cloud Optimizer?https://softwaresupport.hp.com/km/KM02819924

I hope that this information is helpful.

Have a great rest of your week!

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Will the debug log be written to the same directory that contains the Collector executable, or some other WIndows location?

Thanks,
Aaron

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Aaron,

The log file with the debug information is not a new or separate log file.  The additional information is placed within the existing vPVWinVirtCollector.log file.

The debug information does not even include the term "debug" but actually only has "info".  However, it does include much more information and detail to the messages within the vPVWinVirtCollector.log file.

I hope that this helps answer your question.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Highlighted
Admiral
Admiral

Yes, once we got around the issue of the vPV service not starting, I was able to see both the regular and debug entries in the log.

Thanks,
Aaron

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.