Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

(CO) Support Tip: Updating CO Virtual Appliance using Installer is unsupported.

Hello CO Community,

It has recently come to our attention that there are a few individuals that have upgraded their CO Virtual Appliance deployments using the Installer bundle instead of the ISO or ZIP bundles that are specifically for the Virtual Appliance.  This is a problem that could cause unknown issues for your CO environment.

The CO Installer (Ex. VPVINSTALLER_00006.tar) are intended for servers that have CO installed on it.  It is not intended for the Virtual Appliance.

The CO Installer does not contain all of the same information as the ISO or ZIP because the Virtual Appliances include more than just the CO software.

An easy way to tell if you are in this situation is to check what version of CO you are running from the GUI or CLI and then compare it to what version of the "Virtual Appliance" is being reported within the VAMI interface.  The Virtual Appliance version is only updated when the ISO or ZIP bundles are used to update the software.

An example of issues that you may encounter are where CO reports will not be generated.  More details about that issue can be found within the following knowledge article.

KM02896984 - Cloud Optimizer Performance Reports fail to be generated after upgrading to 3.01.120 or 3.01.131
https://softwaresupport.hp.com/km/KM02896984

As stated within the CO 3.01 Installation Guide, you have two ways to upgrade the Virtual Appliance from CO 3.00.152.

If you already have an earlier version of HPE Cloud Optimizer deployed on the virtual
appliance and want to upgrade to version 3.01, you can do it in the following two ways:

• Using CDROM Updates (Using .iso)
  • Using Specified Repository (Using .zip)

I hope that this information is helpful.

Have a great weekend!

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
2 Replies
New Member.. irwan
New Member..

Re: (CO) Support Tip: Updating CO Virtual Appliance using Installer is unsupported.

Hi there,

I have acquired the VPVZIP_00007 and inside is the "manifest" and "package-pool" folder.

I have made this into .iso and inside the ISO is the  "manifest" and "package-pool" folders.

1.  Loaded the ISO using VMsettings > Hardware > CD/DVD drive > Datastore ISO file.

2. Mounted the ISO using;  mount /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom

I can see the "manifest" and "package-pool"  folders under /mnt/cdrom

3. On the CLoud Optimizer, chose the "Using CDROM Updates (Using .iso)"

After clicked on Check Updates, is states "No update is available"

"No update found on 1 CD drive(s)."

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: (CO) Support Tip: Updating CO Virtual Appliance using Installer is unsupported.

Hello Irwan,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems.  I'm also sorry for the delay.  I've been out of the office this last week.

There is a VPVISO_00006 file that you can download rather than converting the zip to an iso.

https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/km/KM02782743

I would recommend using that rather than converting the zip to an ISO.  It has different checksums and I don't know if it would check.

After downloading the ISO, make sure that the ISO is valid by performing a checksum on it.  Then try and use it instead of the zip.

I hope that this is helpful.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.