Respected Contributor.. juserforum Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

CO <-> OMi integration discovery issue

Hi,

I just install HPE Clout Optimizer (VA) 3.00 and I follow the instructions for the integration with OMi 10.60. I install MP for Cloud Optimizer latest version 1.24 in GW and DPS OMi servers.
Following the installation and integration guide, first I install the OA in Cloud Optimizer and grant the certificate. Cloud Optimizer appears as a monitored Node. Then, install de Management Pack for CO succesfully. Finally assign first the vDiscovery Aspect to CO for discovery. It works fine and I can see all CIs discovered by CO in OMi RTSM ( VM, Datastore, esxi servers... ) and I can see performance graphs in Performance Perspective.
But for testing I need to disconnect the integration between OMi and CO and I delete the vDiscovery Aspect from CO, and the discovered CIs disappear form the OMi RTSM, but ALL CIs dissapeard from the OMi RTSM, include the OMi GW and DPS Server, the Running software and everything.

I have to restart DPS and GW to see nodes again.
Is there a bug or maybe a priority integration configuration missed?

Thanks you!

Tags (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: CO <-> OMi integration discovery issue

Hello jtejedera,

There are a few additional steps that are required to integrate with OMi 10.60.

First, OMi 10.60 is not supported with CO 3.00.  It requires CO 3.01 (3.01.120) at a minimum and recommended to be CO 3.01.131 (Security Patch).  Please note that CO 3.01 used the OA 12.0x agent and not the OA 11.1x agent due to the different versions of LCore.

I would recommend downloading the upgrade to CO 3.01.120 and the security patch to CO 3.01.131 for your environment.

CO 3.01 Upgrade in ISO format for CO VA 3.0:
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/VPVISO_00005

CO 3.01 Security Patch (Build 131) in ISO format for CO VA 3.01:
https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/LID/VPVISO_00006

There is also an official hotfix that is available from support that was released last week if you have problems with the VMware collection side of things.

If you continue to have problems with the requirement to restart the other servers, then please open a support case so that we can troubleshoot the issue.  It is not a known issue that I am aware of currently.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Mark, 

Thanks you, I upgrade CO to latest version and security path. The problem persist.

I found the next KM https://softwaresupport.hpe.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM02373991. Is the same error but with OMU/OML.

The version of the agent installed is 12. I opened a case to Support but they told me that is a normal behavior. I understand that if the CI discovered by aspect in CO does not exist in OMi RTSM it woll be deleted if I remove the aspect or if I remove the VM from the ESX and in the next discovery it delete the node form OMi RTSM, but if I have an existing monitored node by OM ( OAgent ) it would not have to delete the entire node if I remove the aspect...

(HP told me that they do not support OMI -CO integration... they suggest me to post the problem here )

I will test the procedure in the KM ( the Alternative Solution ).

Thanks you.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello jtejedera,

Whomever you spoke with that stated that we do not support the integration of OMi to CO is incorrect.

HPE Software does support the integration.  The HPE OMi Management Pack for CO is supported by the CO team.

This knowledge article that you referenced is one that has a known issue for OML/OMU integrations.

There is a known issue for what the knowledge article is describing.

QCCR1A186656 :  CO node discovery adds and deletes nodes from OML/OMi server frequently

The fact that CO deletes the CI entries from OMi is as designed even though there is another monitoring method (OA).

There was someone else that recently wanted to make CO incompapable of deleting CIs within OMi.  That is currently not possible.  Someone would need to submit an enhancement request to provide that option.

The challenge is that once you prevent deletions, then what about modifications or creations?  It can get complicated, etc.

I know that the workaround within the knowledge article works for OMU/OML environments.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Hi Mark,

Thanks, I will contact agains with support to solve this problem.

Yes, I know that the knowledge article is for OML/OMU integratiosn, but I think that some of the solutions suggestes might work.

However, Idon't think that this situation is a normal behavior. Today I connect to OMi again, and my DPS and GW server lost all their CIs discovered by infrastructure policy and the running software CI related to both servers. I lost the CI in the views modeled too. All because a slow or failure connection to the target in wich DPS and GW exist as a GUEST.
I think it's not correct to permit CO to delete nodes in OMi RTSM though there is another monitoring method related to the CI.

Maybe I miss some configuration in OMi side? Or have I to configure something like integrations priorities?

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello jtejedera,

I’ll provide more details here within this update concerning the QCCR and a possible workaround.

Here is a summary of the ‘Topology’ forwarding steps to OMi for your reference.
1 - service-discovery.py extracts topology information from the CO DB and prints it to stdout
2 - agtrep parses the output of the script to extract the CIs and CI relations
3 - agtrep calculates the changes since the last discovery
4 -  agtrep forwards the delta information to OMi.

The answer to the possible workaround question is within the customer visible information of the defect QCCR8D83763.  It appears that this information was provided sometime in the past week and a half.

QCCR8D83763 CO node discovery adds and deletes nodes from OML/OMi server frequently

Workaround Note:
Update discovery instance deletion threshold to a higher value.
Below discovery configuration variable makes CO discovery to update OM/OMi if the data change is consistent for 12 hours, assuming discovery runs every 30 mins.

[agtrep]
INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD=24

CLI to set above value:
/opt/OV/bin/ovconfchg -ns agtrep -set INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD 24

Note:
Please note that this setting prevents VM updates/ vMotion updates on OM/OMi immediately.

This workaround is in the latest OMi Management Pack for CO 1.24.

A new parameter was introduced called “INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD”.
Ex.
# ovconfget  agtrep  INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD  5

The value of 5 is the default value.

During Step 3 - “agtrep calculates the changes since last discovery” the following happens.

• At each discovery, if the instance is still not discovered, the del-count value is decremented.
  • When it reaches 0, the CI is removed from the cache and a CI deletion request will be forwarded to OMi.
  • The logic for cache updates of CI relations is the same as for CIs.

During Step 4 - “agtrep forwards the changes to OMi”, agtrep sends the following data to OMi:

• Deletion requests for CIs and CI relations that have reached “del-count = 0”.
  • New CIs and modified CIs
  • All CI relations (can be modified to only new or modified relations).

I hope that this helps answer your questions.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Tags (4)
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. Hari_Reddy Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi Mark,

Hope you are doing good, it was quite a long time that I am replying to your posts, earlier we had many conversations related to HP SOM last year.

I have OMi 10.61 and CO3.02 installed in my environment and integration is made with the MP for CO1.25, But  Iam afraid by looking into this known error in of updating/deleting CIs in OMi. Even the work arounds provided is also not a suitable to overcome the issue

Do we expect a permanent fix in near future ?

Thanks & Best regards,
Harikanth N

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Harikanth,

Yes, it has been a while since we discussed this issue and SOM cases.

OMi 10.61 and CO 3.02 with OMi MP 1.25 for CO are the latest versions of everything.

The known issues with creating duplicate CI entries has been addressed.

In looking at your comments, it sounds like you are talking about the "INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD" parameter that was introduced with OMi MP 1.25 to address defect QCCR8D83763.

QCCR8D83763 CO node discovery adds and deletes nodes from OML/OMi server frequently

Is this correct?

As far as I currently know, there are no plans to create a different fix for this situation.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
0 Likes
Honored Contributor.. Hari_Reddy Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I want to use "INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD"  parameter that was introduced with OMi MP 1.25 to address defect QCCR8D83763.

But I have one more main concern on this integration. I will enable monitoring using OA for few of the VM's discovered using CO, for which the known issue is Controlled machines will turn into Message allowed after CO topology update in OMi. The work around suggested for this is not suitable in all the scenarios.

We are re-thinking wheather to implement CO in our environment with these known defects, instead of this, we would like to use Sitescope monitors for VMWARE monitoring as we have only vCenter monitoring in scope, please share your thoughts.

Best Regards,

Hari

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Hari,

Unfortunately, I do not support OMi directly and I do not know very much about Site Scope.  I do not believe that I can provide the insights that you are requesting.

I will ask engineering about your concerns but I do not know the time frame for which I will receive answers or if they will satisfy your concerns.

I"ll let you know when I hear more.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Hari,

I apologize for the delay in additional information.  There has been exchanges of information about this issue that take time.

The CI deletion issue is not as simple as it appears on the surface.

The problem is inherent to the discovery framework.

CO never deletes a CI, it merely tells OA what it is currently seeing.  From there OA's agtrep decides to send a deletion request at some point of time, which is configurable through the OA variable INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD.
Next OMi can decide to honor or not honor this request.

The only authority here is RTSM/uCMDB.  It is the only one to know which software discovered a CI. It should have the intelligence to delete a CI only when all software agrees to it.

There is nothing that can be done from CO side.  The INSTANCE_DELETION_THRESHOLD is the best that can be done at this time for CO.

I'm sorry that I do not have a better answer.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello Hari,

There has been some new information provided recently that is currently being investigated.  There may be more that can be done within the CO integration policies, but it is still unclear and untested.  It may be some time before an answer can be provided concerning these new options that just came to light and if they would meet the requirement.

I'm sorry that I do not have more information than that currently.  More information will be available as things are investigated more with R&D.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.