Highlighted
Abdel Wahab Moh Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Unable to nice and un-nice processes. Check limits.

Hello Everyone,

I have CO 3.00 VA and I need to upgrade it to 3.02. I downloaded the .iso update and tried to install it but it failed with the following error: ""Failed to install updates(Error while running installation tests) on Wednesday, November 8, 2017 4:05:33 PM GMT+03:00"

I searched in the logs, and I found that there was an error in Vertica upgrade. The error is: " Unable to nice and un-nice processes. Check limits.".

In Vertica documentation "https://my.vertica.com/docs/7.1.x/HTML/index.htm#cshid=S0010", it's written how to solve this issue. I did the steps with no luck and I keep receiving the same error.

Did anyone face this issue before?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Abdelwahab 

Tags (3)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Unable to nice and un-nice processes. Check limits.

Hello Abdel,

Thank you for your question.

I'm sorry to hear that you are encountering challenges with your upgrade to CO 3.02.

I searched our knowledge base and could not see that error in relation to CO.

I just deployed the CO 3.00 VA and then used the 3.02 ISO to upgrade it.  It was successful within my environment.

How far did the upgrade process get?  It sounds like it did not complete the prerequisite testing.

I'm assuming that you used the VAMI interface to upgrade the Virtual Appliance with the 3.02 ISO?

I would check and confirm the following items:

• Make sure you are using VAMI for upgrade process.
  • Run a MD5 checksum on the ISO to make sure that it is valid.
  • No additional security modifications have been done on the Virtual Appliance since the installation?

Has the 3.00 Virtual Appliance been running a while or is it a new deployment?  If new deployment, then I suggest deploying the Virtual Appliance with 3.02.  The CO 3.00 VA runs on CentOS 6.5 while CO 3.02 VA runs on CentOS 6.9.

If the CO 3.00 Virtual Appliance has been running awhile I would try running the the upgrade again to see if it happens again or was a one time issue.

If the problem continues, you may consider upgrading to CO 3.01 and then upgrading to CO 3.02 and see if that works.

If none of those sound like good options, then I would suggest opening a support case.

I'm sorry that I couldn't provide a better answer.

Regards,

Mark

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
Abdel Wahab Moh Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Unable to nice and un-nice processes. Check limits.

Hi Mark,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Actually the upgrade process failed during the pre-requisites check.

Also I tried both the .zip file and .iso image and I received the same error.

Here are my answers to your questions:

• Make sure you are using VAMI for upgrade process.

Yes, I'm using it.

• Run a MD5 checksum on the ISO to make sure that it is valid.

I ran it and it was successful.

• No additional security modifications have been done on the Virtual Appliance since the installation?

Nothing is changed in the VA since I installed it.

Has the 3.00 Virtual Appliance been running a while or is it a new deployment?

Yes, it is running from a while unfortunately but it seems that I'm going to deploy the new VA directly.

Also I ran the upgrade process many times with the same error.

Anyway, thanks for your support and help.

Did anyone face this issue before?

Regards,

Abdelwahab

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.