SteveConner Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

vPV-Discovery Topology Limitation ?

Hi folks

We have deployed cloud optimizer VA monitoring 2 vCentres integrated with OMi 10.12. (monitoring only license)

The topology discovery has stopped after populating RTSM with 12 ESX hosts, 10 from  vCentre1 + 2 from vCentre2 (we have many more  ESX hosts) is this a limitation of the license ?

Any help greatly appreciated.

edited for further info. Meant to say we have a previous vPV installation which we are replacing as we have various issues with it, the discovery process on old vPV seems to have successfully discovered our virtual infrastructure but did not populate the vpv_infrastructre view. Could it be that new vPV is only populating RTSM view with previously undiscovered topology ?

More info. Installed and ran the Cloud Optimizer troubleshooting toolkit , pvdump_dml_inst_virtualization__HostGroup.csv is empty, if thats's an extract from DB table for hosts then that doesn't look right ?

Steve C  

Tags (1)
0 Likes
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: vPV-Discovery Topology Limitation ?

Hello Steve C,

There is no 'Limitation' for monitoring vCenter environments when using the Monitor-Only license with CO.

You should be able to monitor the environment environment of 2 vCenter servers with 12 ESX hosts, etc.

There are a few key items that you should make sure you have setup and configured within your environment.

There are two parts to the collection of information to be added to OMi.

• VMware data collection to CO.
  • Forwarding of information from CO to OMi.

I would highly .... highly .... highly recommend (did I say highly?) making sure that you are running CO 3.01.131 with the latest hotfix that you can obtain from support.  There were some collection issues that were addressed in both the security patch (3.01.131) and the latest hotfix after it.

NOTE:  CO 3.01.xxx does require OA 12.0x and will not work with OA 11.1x.

This would address known VMware data collection issues for VMware environments.

After that, I would make sure that you have the “OMi Management Pack for HPE Cloud Optimizer 1.24” downloaded, assigned and deployed to your CO server.
      https://marketplace.saas.hpe.com/itom/content/omi-management-pack-vpv

This has updated policies and scripts that help with the collection of information from the CO DB and forwarding it to OMi.

If you continue to have problems after these steps, then I would recommend opening a support case.

Regards,

Mark

Additional Edit:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the file from the pvsupport.sh -grab output that you want to look at to see the list of ESX hosts or VMs is the following:
pvdump_dml_inst_Infrastructure__Node.csv

---
Mark Butler
Micro Focus SW Support Engineer
https://softwaresupport.softwaregrp.com/
0 Likes
Outstanding Contributor.. andreask Outstanding Contributor..
Outstanding Contributor..

Re: vPV-Discovery Topology Limitation ?

Hello Steve,

open a case at HPE Support. You may need a fixed service-discovery.py script. The discovery didnt work for me without the fix.

also be aware not to use any special charaters like "&" in labels or names of any elements in Vcenter that shhould be discvoered. It may break the discovery, too.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.