In today’s fast changing digital businesses, business expects more and more of IT with agility, automation and scalability. If you are working with technologies like the Internet of Things, cloud, open source and virtualization, you can utilize Operations Bridge to meet today’s challenges. With the Operations Bridge, you gain a single-pane-of-glass visibility into the “state” of your IT through the integration of the data provided by domain operations management tools. If you are an existing user of tools like Operations Manager, PI, OVR etc., you can profit from the huge advantages of OpsBridge, just like our other customers have.
With Operations Manager i 10, Micro Focus has announced the OM-to-OpsBridge Evolution program with step-by-step evolution information that adds value after each step and presents an overview of how existing HPOM configurations can be transferred and used with OMi. You may also refer Operations Bridge Evolution for more details.
How does OMi Management Pack evolve from Operations Smart Plug-in(s)?
OMi Management Packs (OMi MP) provide add-on content on top of Operations Manager i (OMi) and Operations Smart Plug-in (SPI) provide add-on content on top of Operations Manager. OMi Management Packs are organic evolution of Operations Smart Plug-in(s) with additional value added. For example, this value includes, monitoring automation, simplified configuration and extent of application coverage. Additionally OMi MP enables topology synchronization of Operations Smart Plug-in(s) service elements along with event mapping into OMi. The OMi Management Packs Evolution helps you transition from HPOM SPIs to OMi MPs when moving responsibilities from an HPOM server to OMi. It explains the conceptual differences between SPIs and MPs, describes the MP licensing model, and provides an overview of the steps for replacing a SPI with the corresponding MP including how to retain customizations that you might have done in the SPI.
OMi Management Packs has several important new features!
- Automated Monitoring: In this information and data explosion age, automation and agility is crucial for the management of ever growing number of business applications. OMi now includes Automation to simplify IT Monitoring. It automates the configuration of monitoring for infrastructure and composite applications. It detects new instances of components, from servers to composite applications, and maps them to predefined management templates and “aspects” that model to the desired configuration and resource type.
- Simplified Configuration: The performance needs of IT Infrastructure vary based on business needs mainly in terms of uptime, load, scale, cost etc. The configurations, resource and monitoring requirements of various instances of same application could be different. OMi MP comes with out-of-the-box Management Template and Aspects which cover different types of environment. It is easy to tune monitoring based on application type or application instance.
- Composite Application Monitoring: Consider a topology for an instance of Composite Application which consists of WebLogic server, Oracle Database and Infrastructure nodes connected to WebLogic Server and Oracle Database. To monitor WebLogic Application Servers, Oracle instances, and infrastructure elements traditionally you might be using point tools or a pointed solution. Now you can deploy Extensive Management Templates provided by the OMi MP and get away with numerous separate configurations and management overheads.
- Topology Based Event Correlation: When something goes wrong in your environment, monitoring tools generally report multiple problems via events. Usually just one of the events describes the cause of the problem and others are just symptoms. Fix the cause and the symptoms also go away! In a nutshell, Topology Based Event Correlation (TBEC) identifies the CAUSE and SYMPTOM events. The Management Pack comes with a large number of predefined TBEC rules and Indicators covering various domains.
- Extended Coverage: Microfocus is constantly adding more and more application management tools with OMi MP and BSM connectors. OMi Management Packs support over 100+ technologies which cater to both traditional and new style of IT.
- Build your own OMi Management Pack: Development kit is available for creating Management Packs for Operations Manager i which simplifies and automates the monitoring solution development. You can build your own management pack for your application using OMi Management Pack development kit. The Development Kit and its documentation can be downloaded from here. OMi Management Pack Development Guide provides an overview of the development process and detailed information about creating an OMi MP. See our earlier blogs to learn how to use this kit.
- Simplified Licensing: The OMi MP licenses are available in a pack of 25 license units. Each license can be used per OS instance, irrespective of the application type, which makes it easy to calculate and plan for the management pack licenses. For example, the license pack may be used for 5 licenses of OMi MP for Microsoft SQL Server, 10 licenses of OMi MP for Oracle Database with any other combination of supported applications. If you are an existing user of SPIs you will gain entitlement to OMi MP license.
Try OMi now! OMi 10 comes pre-loaded with a number of Management Packs that you can try out without the hassle of getting management pack software or evaluation license.
Learn more about Operations Manager i at the product page here.
The OM-to-Opsbridge evolution program including license exchange details is now live. Search on the tag OM2OpsBridge to find blogs discussing this program and evolution to OpsBridge.
Search on OMiContent for other blogs on management packs and connectors.