ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins. Read more for important details.
ALERT! The community will be read-only starting on April 19, 8am Pacific as the migration begins.Read more for important details.

How do I build dashboard for my business using NNMi?

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert
6 10 1,923

Network Node Manager i (NNMi) provides a rich set of out of the box dashboards for operational troubleshooting and network health indicators for operators to improve their network monitoring. However, every deployment is driven by a different KPI and there is a need for complementing dashboards that provide business value.

This blog post will demonstrate how to use an example dashboard which extends NNMi capabilities and provide a business value to higher management. If this dashboard was built using Business Value Dashboard software, then executives will have a concise view of network health using the variety of devices [Laptop or handheld] at any given point of time. These dashboards can also provide information from multiple sources (for example NNMi, NA, OMi etc.)

Network at Glance: Business Use Case illustrated

Below is the Network at Glance BVD dashboard, which provides a concise network health for each region and gateways on a single pane.

This dashboard provides business takeaways including what regions are facing any major outages and what region needs attention. It also provides information on any gateways which may need attention

At A Glace - Screenshot.png

Here is the description of various data points that are available on the dashboard:

1. Number of devices in the region
  2. Pie-Chart showing number of devices in different severity level.
  3. Number of Critical, Major and Other incidents coming in last 24 hours
  4. Number of open Critical and Major incidents from nodes in this region
  5. Number of Gateways in overall network
  6. Pie-Chart showing number of gateways in different severity level
  7. Total number of Interface Utilization violations in last 24 hours
  8. Total Number of Gateway reboots reported in last 24 hours
  9. Maximum number of times any gateway rebooted in last 24 hours

Architecture:

Architecture.png

A. Data from NNMi is fetched using Java SDK client. However, a client can use any of exposed interfaces by NNMi.

B. Convert NNMi data into a format supported by BVD (e.g. JSON format).

C. POST this data to BVD using HTTP or HTTPS.

D. Whenever a dashboard is launched, BVD draws the dashboard using the data received from NNM.

This dashboard keeps refreshing as BVD receives the data from NNMi

Read More:

Watch out for my next blog on operational steps on how to build a new dashboard.

10 Comments
MukeshPatel
Not applicable

Very helpfull.

MukeshPatel
Not applicable

Nicly explained.

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Very good!  Where can we get the client code and the example dashboard visio?

--- From Akash

Yes! Drop me an email and I would help you with that

Commander
Commander

Nice way to create executive stype report in BvD for NNMi

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Nice article and the video is enlightening too.

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi Akash,
nice introduction how NNMi and BVD can provide buz value to the company. Eager to see more great examples.

pete willis
Not applicable

Creating an executive stype report in BvD for NNMi is done in a clever and elegant way

AdamBoyd88
Not applicable

Nice clear guide with easy images

MukeshP
Not applicable

Dashboard is very usefull for upper management to view comprehensive health information into one single page. 

Admiral Admiral
Admiral

Can you perhaps detail the structure of the JSON that needs to be translated to from the web service call?

--Chris

Sure! drop me an email and we shall connect with details.

Akash

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.