Guest post by Ankit Desai, ITSM Product Management
We all know that user experience is key to all the enterprise applications, especially for apps that need be accessible by end users. End users want to access applications at their fingertips. They will choose the apps with the best user interface that allows them to easily accomplish the task at hand. If their demands for easy and accessible UX aren’t met, they will drop the app.
End users are looking to stay connected all the time—whether it is through their laptops, mobile phones, tablets and various smart devices. It is important to be prepared to meet all of their desires on these various platforms.
One of the key components of the recently released IT Service Management Automation 2017.07 release is the introduction of the brand new self-service portal and a native mobile app. These new features provide an integrated portal experience for our end users to consume the services delivered in the ITSMA suite.
You may be asking: What’s so special about this new ITSMA Service Portal? How is this different from other Service Portals that we have already?
To start, we have completely revamped our user experience with this new portal and integrated our backend services into the portal to provide catalog aggregation and service brokerage capabilities. This strategy has allowed us to bring users the best in class of our various Portal components including: enhanced user experience, a native mobile app, social capabilities, and the ability to aggregate catalogs from various backend systems all into one portal platform. This portal also delivers additional features and capabilities that customers have been asking for.
Here are some highlights of the major features of this new Service Portal:
- Brand New User Interface: The new ITSMA Service Portal provides a modern responsive design (HTML5-based) mobile optimized interface. This interface enables users to find information at their fingertips. Whether portal users are IT end users, managers or administrative users, the portal offers a seamless experience—depending on the role assigned to the Portal users. Users can browse through the catalog and knowledge, submit requests and tickets, interact with virtual and live agent through chat, and lot more.
- Built-in theming and configurability: Although our out-of-the-box portal experience should be sufficient for many customers, the portal does offer extensive theming and configurability to allow customer-specific branding and configurations to be implemented. Our built-in UI based theming capabilities allow more than 35 parameters to be configured according to a customer’s marketing and branding guidelines. In addition, our feature settings page allows administrators to enable/disable certain features within the portal including Request on behalf, chat, shopping cart, native mobile app and virtual agent.
- Native mobile application: With this release, we are also very excited to bring a native Android-based mobile application to our customers. The mobile app allows our customers to browse and request services from the catalog. Customers can also browse and view knowledge articles, and view and track open requests. This app also allows the managers to approve orders when they are away from their desk or while traveling. This app is available to download from Google Play.
- Mixed deployment model: The new ITSMA Portal is delivered only through our Container Deployment Foundation platform. For customers who want to integrate this Service Portal (deployed as Containers) to traditional Service Manager or UCMDB deployments, we offer a mixed deployment model. The advantages of mixed deployment model are primarily that customers are allowed to keep existing investments in Service Manager and UCMDB as much as possible including integrations to SM Core, allows our customers to realize new value and innovations (like with Service Portal) quickly, and mitigates risks as compared to moving the entire platform to containers.
- Other numerous features: The new ITSMA Portal enables numerous host of capabilities including: IDO- based contextual search with enhanced filtering options, virtual and live agent chat, entitlement based support for catalog offerings, shopping cart, request on behalf capabilities, and a display of hot news.
- Language support: We support the portal in 17 languages including English, Arabic, Brazilian Portuguese, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, and Turkish.
The new ITSMA Portal can be integrated to SM 9.41 and above versions. The best part is that all of your existing configurations in SM—like catalog configurations and entitlements, pricing, approvals, existing requests/tickets, knowledge articles, among others—automatically sync-up with the new portal. This means there is minimal configuration required when setting up this new portal.
Service Management Automation