Do you perform End User management? Or just ping the web page?
Can you correlate up the data chain to see when app issues are squeezing the business? Or just reboot the application?
Can you correlate down to see if it is the result of an infrastructure issue? Or just add more resources?
The changes are that all of those can help set the business back on track, but whatever the issue was it’s probably still lurking and waiting to pounce.
Preventive vs curative, right?
Sure, getting the business back on track is the right thing to do, but when the problem in question repeats when you’re in bed, then holy smoke!!
So you really ought to be focusing IT operations on qualifying the end user experience.
In that regard here are a few things NOT to do.
- Don’t count on a web ping to tell you if the user has completed his transaction. If you do he’s already in the stats of uncompleted sessions and purchases.
- Don’t count on an application reboot to learn why it had difficulties, because by rebooting you just threw away all the information leading up to the incident!
- Don’t count on endless budget and resources to keep covering up issues with that leaking memory fault.
Surely there’s got to be a better way for IT Operations to show real value to business leaders?!
And yes there is! Here are some suggestions of what you SHOULD be putting in place to assure end-user experiences are being fully accounted for and analyzed.
- Do pick a monitoring solution that can detect user issues and report them in context to a solution.
- Do make sure your monitoring solution can apply automated AIOps to find root cause and fix the issue or at least make remedial suggestions to operators.
- Do make sure your monitoring solution can provide real user session metrics to allow an operator to compare a transaction queue status with a slow DB call. Once again, automated analytics can find that root cause and act for the operator.
- Do pick a monitoring solution that detects business throughput degradation and performs capacity planning needed to balance resource allocation and free up resources accordingly.
Automated monitoring, analytics, tuning, and remediation are key to ensuring that ALL issues (not just those detected by APM) are captured and removed BEFORE any business disruption.
You might be thinking…ok, all that is great, but I don’t need 5 more tools to integrate! That would just add to the nightmare!
Well with OpsBridge we provide ONE solution that includes APM data collection capabilities as well as infrastructure monitoring. OpsBridge is service driven operations, monitoring data from the business down to the network port and everything in between.
How does it do this? What kind of “service” driven management can you really do?
Has anyone already used it to do this and what benefits have they derived?
Join our webinar on March 14th, 2019 to learn about the answers to these questions.
Next Generation IT Operations
The 2nd edition of our new book entitled “Next Generation IT Operations” is now available.
It contains three new prefaces written by industry experts. Luke Bradley of Vodafone group, Toine Jenniskens of Rabobank and Travis Greene express their own views and visions of the evolution of IT and operations. Our book is intended as an inspirational read, a couple of pages per day or week. Maybe even when a particular issue or domain rears its head, you’ll plunge in and find a bucket load of “Ahas” that you may never have thought of before. They are all derived by our own experiences observing what customers are doing, saying, and how we see them take successful strides in evolution. We hope it can help you to make them too.
Attend #MicroFocusUniverse OpsBridge sessions and you’re very likely to obtain a free copy. If you REALLY can't attend then you can order the book here.
We are happy to announce the following events:
- Micro Focus Universe – 26-28 March, Austria Center Vienna - Register Now
- Webinar replay – How Garanti Bank Delivers an Excellent End User Experience with Operations Bridge
- Webinar replay – Hybrid IT is the new normal
- Webinar replay – Solving the complexity of Hybrid Cloud monitoring
- Webinar replay – 6 Ways to Simplify the Management of Your Multi-Cloud Environment
- See all the Micro Focus events Worldwide
Read all our news at the Operations Bridge blog.
Explore all the capabilities of the Operations Bridge and technology integrations by visiting these sites:
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.