Recent research from the Taneja Group, a premiere boutique analyst firm providing analysis and consulting for the technology industry, shows that more than 80% of organizations surveyed are in the process of moving or planning a move to a hybrid cloud infrastructure. With good reason. A hybrid cloud infrastructure significantly eases the transition to the cloud, allowing organizations to reap the benefits of the cloud and cloud-native apps—elasticity, agility, flexibility, affordability—while still preserving current on-premises IT investments.
But the journey is not without its challenges. As enterprises find themselves straddling the divide between on-premises and cloud environments, so too are they straddling the varying data backup and recovery requirements of these environments.
It's tempting to assume that cloud providers automatically protect your data to the fullest extent, but this is typically not the case. Cloud providers' built-in backup tools tend to be oriented toward disaster recovery and, therefore, often lack the nuance, flexibility, breadth of coverage, app awareness, and enterprise capabilities that organizations have come to expect from their on-premises backup solutions. As a result, one big question arises: How can my organization seamlessly protect the critical data and applications running on-premises and on the cloud?
The answer: Micro Focus Data Protector. Long recognized for its comprehensive hybrid IT protection, Data Protector scales across your entire hybrid environment, consolidating backup and recovery operations into one single management interface.
And recently, we've announced that Data Protector now provides fully integrated and robust protection for applications deployed in HPE ProLiant for Microsoft Azure Stack. Microsoft Azure Stack enables organizations to deliver Azure services from their own data center, and is delivered as an integrated hybrid cloud solution on HPE ProLiant servers, incorporating compute, storage, and networking. With more than 50% of companies using or planning to use Azure within the next two years, according to research by the Taneja Group, this is big news for our users!
Micro Focus Data Protector has a long history of tight integration with HPE Storage products. Its integrated support for HPE Proliant for Microsoft Azure Stack highlights Data Protector's ongoing close development with HPE and ability to deliver support for HPE's newest and evolving technologies, and shows once again that Data Protector leads the way with HPE integration.
So what exactly can you expect when running Data Protector in a hybrid environment such as one that employs Microsoft Azure Stack? Next we've listed some key capabilities and benefits:
- Usage of existing backup infrastructure, including processes to preserve investments and reduce costs associated with training and reskilling. Data Protector maintains backup across the heterogeneous environment while fully integrating with new technologies like Microsoft Azure Stack, allowing you to transition to the cloud at your own pace, rather than having to take a big bang, all at once approach.
- Native integration with HPE storage products, including StoreOnce, SimpliVity, and Nimble, without the need for any additional plug-ins or appliances.
- Support of multiple backup topologies, regardless of agent or agentless deployment, on-premises or cloud. Unlike “one-size-fits-all” solutions, Data Protector accommodates diverse environments and adapts over time to meet evolving organizational needs.
- Application-specific backup, providing application consistency, data integrity and recoverability for the most critical business applications, including Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft SQL, Oracle, SAP, and SAP HANA. The advanced recovery options include granular recovery, point-in-time recovery, and availability group support.
- Advanced analytics and monitoring, measuring the effectiveness of meeting service level agreements in fast-paced hybrid cloud environments. Clear insight into backup status ensures there are no gaps in your protection coverage, and alerts to processes not running or completing as scheduled. Analytics determine resource utilization hot spots and allow for infrastructure cost and performance optimization.
- Enhanced data security and compliance, including secure peering and centralized command and execution controls, provide reliable backup for workloads in both public and hybrid cloud. In light of GDPR, Data Protector helps maintain compliance and focus on data accessibility.
There's no denying that the cloud is fast becoming the preferred delivery method for IT services and applications. There's also no denying that existing on-premises infrastructure won't be disappearing overnight. Hybrid environments will be the new normal for some time to come and Data Protector's recently announced support for HPE ProLiant for Microsoft Azure Stack showcases our ongoing commitment to helping customers protect their data while exploring new cloud architectures.
Want to learn more?
- Website: Micro Focus Data Protector
- Data sheet: Micro Focus Data Protection
- Solution brief: Micro Focus Data Protection for HPE ProLiant for Microsoft Azure Stack
- Website: HPE ProLiant for Microsoft Azure Stack
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.