This article is part two in a series on the Micro Focus Operations Bridge monitoring content. It focuses on monitoring cloud-based infrastructure and services with Operations Bridge.
The use of cloud-based technologies has transformed modern IT infrastructure and brought numerous benefits offered by cloud computing, such as increased operational agility, ease of deployment and maintenance, optimized resource utilization, scalability and cost-effectiveness.
Although rapid adoption of cloud computing opens up new opportunities, it also poses some challenges and risks. With more enterprises embracing the hybrid cloud model and using multiple cloud providers, the task of managing cloud environments is becoming increasingly complex. Monitoring the applications, services and data residing in dynamic and distributed cloud environments must ensure the availability and optimal performance of cloud resources, predict potential issues, provide meaningful insights and initiate execution of corrective actions if required. Moreover, the effective monitoring solution must be able to address the unique challenges of hybrid cloud monitoring, such as:
- Blurred visibility into individual components of hybrid IT
- The difficulty of discovering and updating a topology for hybrid IT
- Fragmented monitoring stacks and rapidly changing environments – takes longer to identify and resolve issues
- Huge volumes and variety of data collected across complex hybrid environments
- Most legacy monitoring tools are not designed for cloud monitoring, traditional agents have difficulty providing comprehensive hybrid cloud monitoring
- Native cloud monitoring tools that can only monitor an individual vendor-specific infrastructure and do not provide real-time visibility across the entire hybrid IT environment
Therefore, to overcome the above obstacles, it is crucial to utilize an automated and scalable cloud management solution that is designed for the new hybrid IT reality.
Operations Bridge helps you achieve comprehensive end-to-end management of resources deployed across private and public clouds and on-premise infrastructures. It enables the monitoring of hybrid IT environments empowering you to see everything you have – public and private clouds and virtual and on-premise resources – in one consolidated view. The collected data is available for visualization and reporting. This helps you get full visibility into your dynamic cloud environments and allows you to efficiently investigate and troubleshoot potential issues.
Operations Bridge addresses all the requirements of modern Hybrid IT management solution, such as:
- Automated Hybrid IT discovery – automated end-to-end discovery generates a topology map of your entire hybrid IT infrastructure and maps the dependencies among its components.
- Monitoring Automation simplifies and automates monitoring deployment thus reducing manual effort needed in setting up monitoring configurations.
- Out-of-the-box monitoring for the cloud – out of the box, Operations Bridge collects monitoring data from various AWS, MS Azure and Google Cloud services.
- Consolidation of all data types across multiple clouds – Operations Bridge consolidates all data types (events, metrics, logs, and topology) from different data sources and brings it into one single pane of glass. Unlike cloud-native monitoring tools that only monitor performance and availability of the cloud platform they are native to, Operations Bridge is capable of consolidating all monitoring data across physical, virtual, public and private cloud, as well as containerized environments.
- Automated analytics and remediation – as the volume of management data from the cloud increases constantly, so does the need to intelligently analyze these vast amounts of data and extract valuable insights into both known and unknown issues. Operations Bridge applies machine learning to the collected data and proactively determines which anomalies are occurring or are about to occur, alerts operators and executes remediation if required.
- Visualization of business value using the IT data – IT is under pressure to provide executives with the business performance data that provides actionable insights into your hybrid IT applications and services and is available in real time, showing all cloud services and costs in one global view. Operations Bridge Business Value Dashboards allow you to build what you want to see, identify patterns in your data and allow you to share it with others.
- High customer satisfaction – with automated discovery and monitoring of your hybrid IT infrastructures and powerful AIOps capabilities powered by machine learning and big data analytics, Operations Bridge helps ensure optimal operational performance and a consistently excellent user experience.
Micro Focus Operations Bridge Manager (OBM) comes with the dedicated Cloud Management Packs that provide the knowledge to automate hybrid cloud monitoring and help you maintain the health and security of your hybrid cloud. They automatically discover new cloud instances and activate monitoring accordingly. Automated and scalable monitoring of cloud resources offered by Operations Bridge helps to keep your cloud applications and services running smoothly and enables full visibility into your cloud environments.
Figure 1. Hybrid IT Management with Operations Bridge: AWS, Azure, Google Cloud
Cloud Management Packs connect to the hosts or native services of the cloud providers integrated with Operations Bridge, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft (MS) Azure and Google Cloud in order to:
- Discover topology and represent the services and containers in the service model
- Collect and stream performance metrics for various cloud services
They then show aggregated metrics as events and automatically visualize them in real-time dashboards.
The services offered by AWS, Azure and Google Cloud are segregated into Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS), and Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) areas as outlined below.
OBM Management Pack for Amazon Web Services offering:
- AWS IaaS monitoring for:
- Elastic Cloud Compute (EC2), Auto Scaling Group, Elastic Load Balancer (ELB), EC2 Container Service (ECS), Simple Storage Service (S3), Elastic Block Storage (EBS)
- AWS PaaS monitoring for:
- DB: Relational Database Service (RDS), Redshift, Dynamo DB
- AWS Simple Queue Services (SQS)
- AWS Key Management Service (KMS)
- AWS Beanstalk Service
- Customer extensible - Generic collection
- 80+ AWS services
OBM Management Pack for MS Azure offering:
- Azure IaaS Monitoring:
- VM, Storage, Load Balancer
- Azure PaaS Monitoring:
- DB: SQL, Data Lake Store, Data Factory
- App Service, WebApp
OBM Management Pack for Google Cloud Compute offering monitoring for:
- Activity Logs
In the next article of this series, we will expand on the subject of hybrid Cloud monitoring with OBM Management Packs and provide a detailed example on how to monitor AWS resources. Stay tuned to our upcoming posts!
Registration link: https://www.microfocus.com/en-us/events/microfocus-universe-2020/overview.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.