Tag, you're it! AWS tag, and more...

Ops_Guest
New Member.
2 0 1,275

boys-1149665_640.jpgBlog by Jason Odorizzi
Sr. Technical Marketing Manager (ITOM)

"Tag, you’re it!" 
If you were like me, this was a timeless, classic game I would spend many summer days playing with friends.  A recent movie with the same name was a reminder that grown men acting like kids and behaving badly is still pretty funny (at least to me!).  So why bother talking about a kid’s game on a technology forum?  First, it’s a lot easier read than trying to spell out a bunch of acronyms, and second, it’s the focus of our new AWS tagging ability to run reporting and modeling queries.

Before we delve into all the details, lets quickly talk about what the heck an AWS tag is and why it's important. 

A tag is simply a label that consists of a key-value pair that is defined by the customer. 

Why is this useful?  Numerous reasons!  Whether you want to make it easier to manage, search/filter, or categorize, AWS tags help simplify data across your entire environment.  There are whole sites dedicated to the strategy for how you can tag.  Rather than trying to regurgitate a bunch of their work, I would recommend starting here to learn more about how AWS recommends using tags.

Why is this useful for practitioner’s to use tags?  With AWS tags, discovery can capture and model tags from any AWS service and use it within your CMDB queries and reports.  Full query and reporting capabilities, as well as expanded service modeling will give you insights on individual resources, automation services, business resources or security and compliance data.

As real-time analytics play a more critical role in change management strategies, these tags help better display your public cloud footprint on AWS, as well as provide more comprehensive reporting.  Since they are customer-defined, the control lies solely within your organization with zero interference from outside entities. 

Need more proof that tags can help your business?  Come check out a trial version of the system!

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.