Guest post by Alex Savio
Product Manager, ITOM-HCM Micro Focus
Public cloud service providers are key enablers for enterprise IT; especially those who offer a wide variety of services through their marketplace portals. These services often include infrastructure, storage, platform and complete applications.
Enterprise IT teams use different marketplace portals from separate cloud vendors to create offerings for their application teams or lines of business (LOB). IT needs to meet the demands of the business—being fast and responsive—and create the right offerings to minimize the need for each LOB to run out to a public cloud vendor in order to satisfy their infrastructure or platform requirements. And when LOBs do go around IT, their chosen services may not always comply with enterprise or governance policies.
Benefits of Public Cloud Providers
At the same time, every CIO or VP of IT Operations is challenged to reduce capital expenses without affecting business stability. Every project they approve has to provide an ROI higher than their internal hurdle rate. Two solutions that an enterprise IT or service provider can adopt to achieve this goal are to:
- Move non-critical servers to public cloud platforms like Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), Alibaba cloud, etc.
- Retain the most critical servers and data within their datacenter using VMWare vCenter, OpenStack like SUSE OpenStack Cloud, KVM, oVirt, etc.
Dev/test deployment teams prefer a ‘crash and burn’/on-demand infrastructure—which are primarily offered by public cloud vendors due to their quick service and pay-as-you-go plans. These types of infrastructure deployment require a blueprint or function templates. For dev/test usage, an agile development team should not be spending their valuable time in creating and maintaining infrastructure templates themselves.
Let’s see how an effective Cloud Management Platform (CMP) can provide a solution to enterprise customers whose application workloads are truly hybrid…hosted on both public cloud platforms and in private datacenters. An enterprise-class CMP should offer a way to aggregate multiple cloud marketplace services in a single-user interface and help enterprise IT admins create controlled offerings.
A successful Cloud Management Platform -“Instant Cloud” solution - should offer:
- Hybrid Cloud aggregation - Seamless integration back into public cloud providers and private datacenters to fetch the images/templates in an aggregated fashion.
- Single pane of glass services- An IT admin should be able to search/filter services or images/templates from public cloud and private datacenters based on the requirements of the line of business.
- Cost effective services - IT admins should be able to select the services or images they need from a list of aggregated hybrid cloud services/images. This enables them to create cloud offerings prioritized by cost, region, and instance size to match their application deployment needs.
- Controlled offerings to stretch the IT budget - Allows the enterprise IT admin to pre-set configuration items like where the instances should be provisioned by setting the region, and typical instance size choices to meet application configuration requirements.
These two configuration options directly impact the price of the services which will be provisioned by the LOB teams. Allowing the IT admin to create controlled offerings will help streamline the cloud spend and save cost.
- Line of Business saves time and effort - Users (app dev/QA) select offerings from a wide-variety of hybrid cloud services vetted by enterprise IT and subscribes to it based on their application needs through their end-user marketplace portal.
Having an enterprise-class CMP tool which offers these options, allows the organization to reap the benefit from day one, not weeks or months. Optimized public cloud utilization/spend is one of the most desired enterprise requirements in speaking with VPs of IT Ops (and even CIOs) globally. Importantly, an effective CMP solution which can aggregate services while maintaining IT control, will also help to avoid vendor lock-in. When a comprehensive CMP is employed, any LOB will experience the benefit of accelerated time to value and allow IT to provide “instant cloud” services without any delay.
Would you like to eliminate overspending and increase the ROI for your IT investment? The Micro Focus Hybrid Cloud Management suite provides all of the benefits listed above and more--including managing your end-to-end hybrid infrastructure and application deployment needs.
Learn more about Hybrid Cloud Management can help you, and register for a free trial.
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.