Guest post by Julita Kussmaul, Data Protector Product Marketing, and Sheetal Kochavara, Data Protector Product Manager
Micro Focus Backup Navigator 9.70, a companion product to Data Protector and VM Explorer, is an analytics, monitoring and reporting tool which allows customers to monitor and optimize their backup and recovery environment. Backup Navigator provides IT staff with customizable, interactive and analytical reports based on 80+ key backup performance indicators. Using these reports, IT staff can proactively identify bottlenecks and inefficiencies within their backup operations. Staff can also discover unbalanced use of backup resources, find and resolve backup issues and potential resource conflicts, and do data-driven planning for future capacity needs.
In addition to helping to optimize the Data Protector and VM Explorer backup environments, Backup Navigator simplifies their use in multi-server environments. These environments have more than one Data Protector Cell Manager or VM Explorer are needed and in large or geographically dispersed deployments. It is also highly useful in multi-tenant environments where it can help Service Providers by monitoring backup service level indicators and creating charge back reports.
Today we are announcing the General Availability of Backup Navigator 9.70 which fully supports the just-announced Data Protector 10.01 This new release enables the following new features:
1. Synchronization of the licensing procedure between Backup Navigator and Data Protector. With this release Backup Navigator uses the same licensing mechanism as the one used by Data Protector. This capability simplifies license management for users who can now download the Backup Navigator licenses from the same license portal as they do for Data Protector. Due to this change, the current Backup Navigator users who upgrade to release 9.70 will need to upgrade their existing license to the new format with a simple procedure. To upgrade visit the license portal, download the new license and import it to Backup Navigator through its user interface. Upgrading to the new license should be done within two months from the time of the upgrade to BN 9.70.
2. New pre-defined reports: Backup Navigator 9.70 offers new pre-defined reports allowing IT operators and backup administrators more insight into their backup and recovery environments, including:
- Application Status Summary report allows to better understand the current backup success rates of Data Protector environment.
- VM Status Summary report can help to better understand current VM backup success rates in VM Explorer environments.
- Library Capacity report can help to better understand the amount of data backed up per library and the amount of free space per library in order to detect any unbalanced use of backup resources.
3. Certifications: Backup Navigator 9.70 now runs on RedHat 7.x and Cent OS 7.x.
For more information on these features, check out the Data Protector Quick Specs and the Product Release Notes. Please also visit our product pages at:
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.