This blog is written in collaboration with Divya Bharathi.
Organizations develop and implement various Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) packages, with SAP being the market leader in the EPR development. ERP technology is getting more and more effective at bringing business processes together to improve collaboration and help companies make data-driven decisions and advance in business productivity. Due to complexity and vast scale of customization in SAP applications, SAP performance monitoring presents a major challenge to IT operations teams.
With Micro Focus Operations Bridge, you can visualize your business impact by using the monitoring capabilities from various products, such as Management Pack for SAP, Management Pack for SAP HANA, Operations Connector for SAP Solution Manager, SiteScope Dynamic Monitors for SAP, and Business Process Monitors for SAP Transactions through the Business Value Dashboard (BVD). Sample executive dashboards are available at the ITOM Marketplace. They show how SAP data could be visualized along with other data, in a Business Value Dashboard of a fictive ActiveSports company.
We recommend that you use the following solutions/combinations of solutions, depending on your monitoring needs:
- In situations where you require deep monitoring of your SAP environment and the underlying infrastructure, use the OBM Management Pack for SAP (MP for SAP). The MP for SAP helps you keep your business applications (running on the SAP NetWeaver technology on the SAP ABAP Application Server and SAP J2EE Application Server) highly available by monitoring the SAP landscape and providing visibility over the SAP application services. Using the MP for SAP, user can discover, monitor and detect potential availability and performance issues through events and performance graphs of your SAP environment.
- If you would like use the benefits of agentless monitoring with the fastest time to value without having to deploy agents into your environment – use Micro Focus SiteScope to monitor SAP performance, utilization, response time, usage, and availability using SiteScope monitors. Please be aware that agentless monitoring does not offer the same monitoring depth as agent-based monitoring solutions.
- If you already use SAP Solution Manager and want to avoid installing additional agents into your environment, integrate SAP Solution Manager with Operations Bridge Manager using the Operations Connector for SAP Solution Manager. The Operations Connector collects SAP Solution Manager alerts and topology and displays this information in OBM.
- You can add BPM transaction monitoring for SAP to all the solutions listed above in order to gain additional visibility into the application performance from the end-user perspective.
Please, read the following sections to learn more about our SAP monitoring solutions.
Operations Bridge Manager (OBM) Management Pack for SAP
Let’s first review the latest releases of the OBM Management Pack for SAP that allows you to discover and monitor your SAP landscape and provides visibility over the SAP ABAP and J2EE Application Servers that support core business processes.
MP for SAP includes Health Indicators (HIs) and Event Type Indicators (ETIs) that analyze the events that occur in your SAP Configuration Items (CIs) and report the health status of the SAP environment. It also includes out-of-the-box management templates for monitoring the availability, health, and performance of the application servers in your SAP landscape. Management templates consist of aspects to monitor ABAP and Java Application Servers. The Performance Dashboard enables you to view the trends of performance metrics of ABAP and JAVA application servers.
At a glance, MP for SAP offers you the following features::
- Comprehensive discovery of the SAP landscape
- Consolidated IT operations for SAP and underlying layers from a single console
- Health and Performance monitoring for SAP systems with different SAP versions, databases and operating systems
- Exhaustive monitoring metrics from SAP ABAP Application Server and SAP J2EE Application Server
- Simple and quick configuration
- Customizable, based on the SAP application and SAP NetWeaver architecture
- Tools to troubleshoot and analyse the issues
- Trend Analysis and Service Health Reports
Note: The first important step in monitoring the SAP landscape is to discover the SAP application topology. MP for SAP discovers various SAP systems, SAP ABAP Application Servers, SAP J2EE application Servers, SAP work processes running in the SAP environment, which are made available as configuration items (CIs) in RTSM.
Here are some of the key highlights from the two latest releases of the Management Pack for SAP (versions 2.00 and 2018.06):
- Simplified configuration and enhanced discovery for SAP applications based on NetWeaver up to version 7.5 (MP for SAP 2.00). This feature provides enhanced discovery for SAP application servers by discovering SAP ABAP and SAP Java Application Servers along with the work process, central instances and the underlying Oracle Database used for running SAP instances. You can now discover distributed and high-availability environments, with no manual configuration required for discovery.
- SAP Log Streaming provides the capability to stream logs into Operations Bridge (MP for SAP 2018.06). SAP log streaming policy collects the data from the list of files returned by the Perl script at an interval of 15 seconds. The data collected is structured as <hostname> <path> <polname> <severity> <timestamp> and <message>. By default, the data log file is collected from the last entry before deploying the SAP Log Collection aspect. If you need to load the data from the beginning of the log file, you can configure the policy accordingly.
For more information on this feature, see the Operations Bridge Help Center.
- Support for the latest RFC SDK 7.2 and improved performance (MP for SAP 2.00).
- Support for Performance Dashboards for SAP ABAP and J2EE application servers (MP for SAP 2.00).
- Support for the SAP HA deployment (MP for SAP 2.00). For details on how to configure SAP monitoring for HA environments, see the Operations Bridge Help Center.
- CCMS Integration (MP for SAP 2018.06). The new SAPABAP_CCMSIntegrationMon Monitoring Template enables monitoring the output of SAP CCMS monitoring infrastructure.
- Localization support for Chinese and Japanese languages (MP for SAP 2018.06).
- Monitoring of SAP ABAP security parameters (MP for SAP 2018.06). The new SAPABAP_SecMon Monitoring Template enables monitoring of the SAP ABAP security parameters, such as privileges and authorizations of important SAP users and the parameters that affect the overall SAP.
For more information on SAP ABAP monitoring templates, see the Operations Bridge Help Center.
OBM Management Pack for SAP HANA
SAP HANA is an in-memory data platform, deployable as an appliance on premise or in the cloud. It is well suited for performing real-time analytics and developing and deploying real-time applications. Ensuring its availability is critical to the applications using this database.
OBM Management Pack for SAP HANA enables you to monitor SAP HANA databases in a few simple steps. You can discover, monitor and detect performance issues through events and performance graphs of SAP HANA Databases from a remote managed node. The Management Pack for SAP HANA provides out-of-the-box management template and aspects for monitoring the health of your SAP HANA databases.
The latest release (2.00) of the Management Pack for SAP HANA introduces the following enhancements:
- Support for the new SAP HANA versions: We have added support for SAP HANA 1.0 SPS12 and SAP HANA 2.0 SPS01.
- Support for monitoring of SAP HANA High Availability (HA) systems: The procedure on how to configure monitoring for SAP HANA HA systems, the relevant prerequisites, as well as the information important for troubleshooting SAP HANA HA-related issues is described in the Management Pack for SAP HANA User Guide.
- Automated discovery of SAP HANA multitenant databases: With the SAP HANA Management Pack, you can discover System and Tenant databases from any of the four supported SAP HANA deployment scenarios:
a. Standard Deployment: one SAP HANA instance with one database, schema, and application.
b. Multiple Components in One Database (MCOD): one SAP HANA instance with one database. The database can have multiple schemas with respective application.
c. Multiple Components in One System (MCOS) à SAP HANA nodes can have multiple SAP HANA instances with respective database, schema, and application.
d. Multitenant Database Containers (MDC) à run multiple-tenant databases on one SAP HANA instance. This deployment has strong separation of data and users with the application-specific lifecycle management. In this scenario, the user must be assigned the MONITORING roles of the standard SAP HANA database.
For more information on deployment scenarios and the details on the Multitenant Database Containers deployment, see the Management Pack for SAP HANA User Guide.
- Enhanced monitoring of Workload Statistics of SAP HANA databases that includes a rich set of metrics, such as long/blocked/uncommitted transaction counts, memory usage, execution count rate, long running statements, long idle cursor counts, time since last save point and many more. Apart from the workload statistics, monitoring also covers different other areas, such as HANA License status, HANA Database availability, HANA database memory usage, HANA database space usage and HANA high availability.
Below is a sample alert for the following scenario: System Replication Fails between primary and secondary server in a HANA HA setup.
- Out-of-the-box Performance Dashboard to track and analyse the performance trend of the HANA metrics (can be drawn at both HANA System and HANA Tenant databases).
Operations Connector for SAP Solution Manager
SAP Solution Manager Integration enables you to gather systems-management data about the events and topology in an SAP Solution Manager environment and make it available in the Operations Bridge Manager for a unified console for an IT operator. Operations Connector for SAP Solution Manager helps you map the collected data from SAP Solution Manager to OBM-compliant form by customization of data collection and data mapping.
Below are the key highlights of the latest version of the Operations Connector for SAP Solution Manager (2.10):
- Support for SAP Solution Manager 7.2: Now we support integrations with SAP Solution Manager 7.2 SPS 02 and later SPS versions along with SAP Solution Manager 7.1 SPS 08 and later SPS versions.
- Support for Event Backward Synchronization: Any alert closed in OBM will be in a closed state in the SAP Solution Manager as well.
- Support for End-User Experience Monitoring: Brings in the alerts from SAP End-User Experience monitoring, in addition to getting alerts from system and database alerts to OBM.
SiteScope Dynamic Monitors for SAP
Dynamic monitors automatically adjust the SiteScope monitoring configuration based on changes that are happening in your IT environment.
SiteScope dynamic monitors for SAP include:
- SAP CCMS Monitor: Enables you to monitor the performance of the SAP R/3 System landscape in a centralized manner using SAP's centralized monitoring architecture, CCMS (Computer Center Management System).
- SAP CCMS Alerts Monitor: Retrieves and reports alerts from the SAP CCMS monitors using CCMS. (The SAP CCMS Alerts monitor retrieves alerts using SAP's advanced CCMS interface BC-XAL 1.0.)
- SAP Java Web Application Server Monitor: Monitors the availability and server statistics for SAP Java Web Application Server cluster and displays a counter tree for each dispatcher and server in the cluster.
- SAP MAI Alert Monitor: Retrieves and reports alerts and its sub-objects from the SAP Solution Manager and displays the counters. The displayed counters are dynamic and depend on the alerts triggered on the Solution Manager when the SiteScope monitors are running.
- SAP Performance Monitor: Monitors the server and database performance data for SAP Application Servers (enables monitoring multiple parameters or counters with a single monitor instance). This enables you to watch server and database loading for performance, availability, and capacity planning.
- SAP Work Processes Monitor: Monitors the effectiveness of your SAP R/3 server configurations. Provides statistical information on work process performance to estimate whether the SAP R/3 Server is efficiently using its resources. Using this monitor, you can also enable reporting of the host topology to APM, in which case APM automatically populates the Run-time Service Model (RTSM) with CIs based on the monitored hardware in SiteScope.
Business Process Monitors (BPM) for SAP Transactions
BPM can monitor SAP applications which are recorded with Micro Focus VuGen. VuGen enables you to record a variety of protocols, including the following SAP protocols:
- SAP GUI Protocol allows you to record the SAP GUI
- SAP Web Protocol allows you to record the SAP GUI and the Web browser transactions
To record a SAP GUI session that uses browser controls, create a multi-protocol Vuser script with the SAP GUI and SAP Web protocols. This allows VuGen to record Web-specific functions when encountering browser controls. Note that this will not work if you attempt to combine SAP GUI and Web protocols.
For more information on this topic, see the section SAP Protocols in the LoadRunner Help Center.
Note: This blog covers the monitoring features offered by Operations Bridge for different SAP components, such as SAP HANA, SAP Solution Manager and SAP NetWeaver Application Servers. To explore these features, download the software from the ITOM Marketplace:
- OBM Management Pack for SAP 2018.06
- OBM Management Pack for SAP HANA 2.00
- Operations Connector for SAP Solution Manager 2.10
If you have feedback or suggestions, don’t hesitate to comment on this article.
Explore full capabilities of Operations Bridge by taking a look at our Operations Bridge Manager, Operations Bridge Analytics, Operations Bridge Reporter, Operations Connector (OpsCx), Business Value Dashboard (BVD) and Operations Orchestration (OO) documentation!
To get more information on this release and how customers are using Operations Bridge, we are happy to announce the following events:
- Webinar 6 Ways to Simplify the Management of Your Multi-Cloud Environment – August 21, 2018
- Webinar replay – Hybrid IT is the New Normal
- Webinar replay – Solving the Complexity of Hybrid Cloud Monitoring
- Micro Focus events world wide
Read all our news at the Operations Bridge blog.
Explore all the capabilities of the Operations Bridge and technology integrations by visiting these sites:
- Operations Bridge
- Operations Bridge Manager
- Operations Bridge Technology Integrations eBook
- Operations Bridge Integrations page
You must be a registered user to add a comment. If you've already registered, sign in. Otherwise, register and sign in.