Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. Syed Amjid Ali Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Agentless or with Agent scanning

Hi Experts,

I am going to deploy DDMI on a large environment, please anyone suggest that should I go for agent less or with agent scanning as client won’t want software utilization data.
please suggest with some valuable reasons so that I can communicate to my team members.
will be grateful to you.
0 Likes
8 Replies
Absent Member.. GouravRane Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Agentless or with Agent scanning

If you do not really want software data then Agent less scanning is the more appropriate choice.
H/w related information can be collected by DDMI using SNMP and hence having agent on each of the managed device is not really needed. It will only add to the CPU utilization on managed devices.
We had experience of High CPU Utilization on some of our managed devices with DDMI Agents. So if s/w data is not needed, I will suggest you to go for agent less scanning.
0 Likes
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In my environment, SNMP is disabled at the client level for workstations, so my DDMI server cannot collect HW data via SNMP. You might want to check in your environment to see if SNMP is enabled at the client workstation level. I still use the agent but dont collect software utilization (yet).

I have a little over 16,000 devices inventoried. It seems to be easier to keep up with all your devices when they have an agent installed. With 16,000 devices having the agent installed 24/7 for the past year... I think I've had one person complain, and they were pretty much exaggerating on the resource usage.

With agentless I dont think the "Call Home" works, and I definately need that capability to keep up with all the mobile laptops.

It's definately a tradeoff. If you want to start with agentless and see how that goes for a while, it will definately be easier to switch to Agent-based scanning if that doesn't fit your requirements

~Jeff

0 Likes
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

If you want to do scanning on an ongoing basis, then I would install the agent as Jeff recommends.

If you're just doing scanning ad-hoc or for a one time audit, then don't bother.

Some larger organizations put the agent into their corporate image so every time a new machine is deployed, DDMI will know about it instantly.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Syed Amjid Ali Absent Member..
Absent Member..

thanx to all for suggestions
0 Likes
Gail D Absent Member.
Absent Member.

We are in the development stages of DDMi and will use agents.

What is the best practice for deploying agents on hw that is already on the network? manually installing or auto-deployment?

If you've used auto-deployment, what method was used?

The future plan is to incorporate the agent with new OS builds.

thanks, gail
0 Likes
Absent Member.

If you've got a software distribution tool (HP Client Automation, Microsoft SMS), then I would use that to push the agent out.

Otherwise how do you normally distribute software in your org?

If you have all the Windows machines in a domain, you can push the agent from DDMI by adding the domain credentials to DDMI.

If you have machines not in a domain, then putting the DDMI agent .msi somewhere on the network and sending around an email asking people to install it would possibly work.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gail D Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Matthew,

Right now, we are on a test envir w/about 20 servers. I manually installed the agent sw on the servers. I'm new to DDMi so please bare with me.

1)Just so I understand, since I have the agent installed, it can be configured to collect the hw data w/o using SNMP? Is that correct?

2)DDMi is configured to the best of my knowledge and I did a scan but it only returned data from the DDMi server and not the other 2 servers. I turned on SNMP on the 3 servers.

Thanks,
0 Likes
Absent Member.

The data collected by SNMP is data is separate from the data collected by the scanner. There is some overlap, but not entirely overlapped.

The workflow for SNMP is separate from the workflow from getting scan data.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.