Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. Aaron L. Johnso Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Changing DDMI Servers

Jump to solution
hi all,

Let's say we have the DDMI 7.61 agent predeployed out to a large number of devices and the DDMI server is going to need to be replaced because of its age. Is there anyway to tell the agents to point to a new server without completely redeploying them? Let's assume that the original DDMI server is still in place to inform the agents of the change.

thanks, Aaron
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Changing DDMI Servers

Jump to solution
The agents communicate with the server because of a key embedded in them in the MSI. I dont believe there is a way to tell the agents to point to a new server.

What you will want to do basically is set up your new server with the same name (you might have to stop the old server first) and copy over a few directories, the main one being the "cert" directory which contains those key's to communicate with your server.

I recently re-built DDMI from scratch with these instructions i wrote, and it went pretty smoothly.

-install DDMI, make sure server name matches your old server name
-reboot
-turn off discovery services (optional)
-copy cert folder (to communicate with agents)
-copy user sai
-change system configurations (manual re-do, you might have to switch back and forth between old server and new server or take screen shots to match up)
-make sure user sai is being utilized by server
-copy all scanner configs from old to new (must do this in order for configuration import to work)
-import discovery groups/profiles configuration
-import license
-make sure everything is using the correct agent / scanner version
-re-share 'scans' folder
-turn on discovery services
-set up MySQL admin account
-set up user accounts

~Jeff

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The agents communicate with the server because of a key embedded in them in the MSI. I dont believe there is a way to tell the agents to point to a new server.

What you will want to do basically is set up your new server with the same name (you might have to stop the old server first) and copy over a few directories, the main one being the "cert" directory which contains those key's to communicate with your server.

I recently re-built DDMI from scratch with these instructions i wrote, and it went pretty smoothly.

-install DDMI, make sure server name matches your old server name
-reboot
-turn off discovery services (optional)
-copy cert folder (to communicate with agents)
-copy user sai
-change system configurations (manual re-do, you might have to switch back and forth between old server and new server or take screen shots to match up)
-make sure user sai is being utilized by server
-copy all scanner configs from old to new (must do this in order for configuration import to work)
-import discovery groups/profiles configuration
-import license
-make sure everything is using the correct agent / scanner version
-re-share 'scans' folder
-turn on discovery services
-set up MySQL admin account
-set up user accounts

~Jeff

View solution in original post

Absent Member.. Aaron L. Johnso Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Thanks Jeff

I wonder if this could be handled by using a DNS entry instead and copying the certs.

So when ever (for example) ddmi.mydomain.us is called reroute it to the new server. Thinking out loud I wonder if this approach could be used in addition to a web content switch to make requests round robin style to multiple DDMI servers.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I believe this scenario is documented in the DDMI docs. You'll want to add the IP address of the new server to the "call home" list so DDMI agent will call home to the new server once the old one is not there.

You should not run the old server and new server in parallel.

1) Change call home configuration
2) wait 2 weeks
3) Backup the first
4) Restore it on the second
5) Done

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.