Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DDMI Find Viewer

Jump to solution
Hello,

Can someone please explain why this device is showing up twice when I Find it in DDMI? What does the record with the question mark and red X mean? Both of these records have the same IP address. I have attached a screenshot. If someone could please explain this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: DDMI Find Viewer

Jump to solution
Hi Andrew,

The two records means there are two different records in the database. The one with red X means the device has been deactivated.

If you would like to know why one has been deactivated, you can check the details in the "Deactivated devices" report under Status > Device Status.

My assumption is the initial discovery phase created two records in the database with partial information. As DDMI discovered more info about the device, it merged the relevant information into one record and deactivated the other one. Over time, once the expiry intervals (deactivation + purge) pass, the stale record will be deleted.

Regards,
Brindusa

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution
Hi Andrew,

The two records means there are two different records in the database. The one with red X means the device has been deactivated.

If you would like to know why one has been deactivated, you can check the details in the "Deactivated devices" report under Status > Device Status.

My assumption is the initial discovery phase created two records in the database with partial information. As DDMI discovered more info about the device, it merged the relevant information into one record and deactivated the other one. Over time, once the expiry intervals (deactivation + purge) pass, the stale record will be deleted.

Regards,
Brindusa

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
If you don't want to wait, right click on the one with the red X and then click "purge".
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thank you both for your responses.

Another question. We have a dedicated DDMI server strictly for our VPN networks. When I bring up a computer in the DDMI Find viewer more often than not it will still show it having a wrong IP address. This IP address is most likely an old one that it was discovered on. This IP address is being used by another device and that device probably won't be on the network long enough for DDMI to deactivate the old computer at that IP and discover the new computer at that IP. Can someone maybe shed some light on how to configure DDMI to handle this type of function? It seems like it requires configuring the Expiry intervals?

Thank You,
Andrew
0 Likes
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
From personal experience, there's a couple server configurations you could use.. both have pros and cons. I actually have a ticket open with HP that i've been working on for a while now.

The best configuration I've found is to do a total "Passive Discovery" for my VPN subnet. I am NOT 'ping sweeping' through the VPN subnet, i dont deploy agents. I only allow basic discovery (allow IP addresses), Agent Communication, Standard Scans, etc. I rely totally on a "Call Home" from my VPNers. This, however, won't answer your question for "bad IPs in the Find box". That is something I've come to just live with, and hopefully will get it fixed soon with my ticket.

However, you might have a different environment. Since you have your own server for VPN... how long does it take to make a full pass of all the IPs? From your Web UI ->Status -> Current Settings -> Discovery Configuration. Up top you should have something that says "The estimated time required to ping 170,045 IP addresses at a rate of 30 address per second is: 1 hour 34 minutes 28 seconds. " And about how many devices are being discovered on that server?

You may want to look at the Network Configuration Profile for your device groups. From there, you can set your "Device Modeler Interval". Since you have your server, you might be able to get away with changing the "Device modeler interval" to like 1 hour. That should keep it pretty up to date and not hinder your server too much since it's dedicated to VPN only and I cant imagine the environment is THAT big?

All in all, VPN and Wireless subnets have been a thorn in my side for a while. As I said, I have a ticket opened up for some things that that should help this issue.

Try changing the Device Modeler Interval first... if that doesn't work, play with the Passive Environment options and try to use it on a call-home basis... if that doesn't work, open a ticket ! 🙂

~Jeff
0 Likes
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thank you Jeff. In the discovery configuration, the estimated time required to ping 11,534 IP addresses at a rate of 5 address per second is: 38 minutes 26 seconds. There are currently 3,284 devices discovered on this server.

Also, the current device modeler interval for the network configuration profile is 1 week and 3 days. You suggest I set that to 1 hour?

Please let me know if you need any more information about my environment. We do have a few HP tickets currently open that somewhat have to do with this issue.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is struggling with the VPN and Wireless discovery/scanning with DDMI.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I think modeling every hour would be okay, but you'll want to keep an eye on a couple things for a few days...

1st go to your Web UI -> Administration -> System Configuration -> Network Devices

Make sure "Concurrent Model Updates" is set to 200 (default) and max. No reason to do any less if your server can handle 200.

2nd go to your Configuration Profiles and change your Network Modeling from 1 week 3 days to 1 hour. Make sure this Configuration Profile applies to all your device groups (i can imagine you only have 1-2 device groups anyways?)

3rd ... over the next few days...
Check on your Web UI -> Status -> Device Status:
1) Network Modeling Queue
2) Network Modeling Processing

If the queue is 200 and processing is 200 everytime you check (check every couple hours), we might need to change your modeling to every 2 hours or so. 200 / 200 would mean your server is maxxed out trying to model everything.

However, I really dont think you'll have a problem with 1 hour modeling given the amount of devices / server workload.

~Jeff
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.