Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DDMI Network Model Queue always backed up with 200+ devices and many hours wait.

Jump to solution
Hello,

Both of our DDMI servers always have 200+ (that we can see) devices in the Network Model Queue. This is before the devices move into the Network Model Processing group. It is taking so long that a lot of the devices are going offline before they can be processed. The average Time Pending in the network model queue is 2+ hours.

Do any other DDMI customers face this issue? We have had a ticket open since May 11, 2010 regarding this issue and it is still unresolved.

Thanks,
Andrew Beck

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DDMI Network Model Queue always backed up with 200+ devices and many hours wait.

Jump to solution
If you're not getting through the list, slow down the re-model time to 7 days or something. There is no real reason to run it every 3 days.

If you're doing calculation, consider that big Cisco routers can take 6+ hours each.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DDMI Network Model Queue always backed up with 200+ devices and many hours wait.

Jump to solution
How many are you allowing your server to process at one time? 200?

You say that you have 200+ in the QUEUE, how many are being PROCESSED while you have 200 in your queue?

I had some issues in the past with my network model queue getting severely backed up, but it was because my Discovery Engine was crashing all the time.

I also have some Thin Clients that like to take 3 hours to process, so they like to hog up the "Processing" group.

~Jeff
0 Likes
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Jeff,

There are 200+ devices in the Network Model Processing as well.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
What do the "Time runnings" look like on your model processing? Are all 200 going on an hour or more? Are 90% of them going on an hour or more?

If everything is going along pretty quickly, the only other possible issue might be with your Configuration Profiles -> Network Profile. This might be tricky since I dont know your environment. I just have 2 Network Profiles for my environment. One is set to model every 3 days (90% of my devices), the other 10% is set to 10 hours. If you have this set too low for the bulk of your devices, and you have a large environment... you might be overloading your Network Modeling engine with work.

-Jeff
0 Likes
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
There are 11 devices that are taking longer than an hour in the Network Model Processing queue right now. The Network Configuration Profile's device modeler interval is set to 3 days.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
How many devices discovered / ports discovered do you have on one of your servers?

What I would do for some minor testing:
Go look at your network modeling PROCESSING list, find a few devices on there (that you think are going to be completed soon, ignore the 1 hour + ones) and write down their IP addresses/computer names... and then go check on them in 5-10 minutes. Make sure they are off the processing list.

Now go do a 'find' on them, open the device up, go to the diagnosis page, and make sure their "Device last modeled as an unmanaged device" got updated.

To me it seems like there can only be a couple issues here:
#1) Your environment is too big and 3 days is too short of a time span to re-process

#2) DDMI is moving devices into the "processing" list, but it isn't really "processing" them, so they go back to the queue shortly after. which would indicate a serious problem with your DDMI server.

~Jeff
0 Likes
A_Beck Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for your replies Jeff.

Currently, on this particular DDMI server there are 23,115 devices and 77,071 ports discovered respectively.

I will try your idea of making sure the devices are being processed by making sure they're out of the list.

Thanks,
Andrew
0 Likes
Highlighted
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
If you're not getting through the list, slow down the re-model time to 7 days or something. There is no real reason to run it every 3 days.

If you're doing calculation, consider that big Cisco routers can take 6+ hours each.

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.