Ali kazmi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

DDMI System Configuration

Hi Jeff and all Experts,
i am new to DDMI and i want to get idea of DDMI system configuration as our team going to deploy DDMI for 7000 devices, can you please share screen shot of system configuration settings for 7000 devices know it is difficult but plz help me, only below listed configuration
-->Server Configuration**
-->Discovery Services
-->Agent Communication**
-->Input Filters
-->Network Devices*
-->Scanner Deployment**
-->Scan processing**
-->Scan file management**
-->Expiry*
-->Report Time Periods**
-->Report Display
-->Aggregate Configuration**
-->Display Preferences
-->Automatic Packaging
if it is too long you can exempt without * config.
0 Likes
4 Replies
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: DDMI System Configuration

It's really tough to just copy someone elses server configuration. After you get familiar with the product you should definately go over all the settings 1 by 1 from time to time.

To make it easy... for about 95% of the settings I use HP's "Default". You can't go wrong with using all HP defaults until you get more familiar with the product, but these are a few things I would suggest taking an extra look at:

Here is my other 5% 'custom' settings:

Server Config:
--this will be all your server information
backup scan files: no (but i pick this because i'm not worried about losing everything. DDMI will just find it again if I do)

number of XML enrichers to use: 2

Discovery Services
mobile discovery active: no (dont use it in my environment yet). There really isn't any harm in keeping it to yes though

Agent Communication
Agent Port: I use 2738, but just because we have been using the product so long its almost impossible to change now. If you are starting out, i would suggest using 7738 since that is the 'official IANA' port #. Whatever you start out with, know that it will pretty much be permanent
Agent Call Home: --your server data (IP address of server in one field, DNS name in the other field)

Agent Versions
is nice... but keep in mind that everytime you download a patch from HP and install an agent to the server, it will re-deploy the agent to your 7000 devices if you are set to . My environment is pretty strict... they don't want me installing an agent to 16,000 devices every few months. So i usually set it to an actual agent version, and control when i want to upgrade all the agents.

Network Devices
Explorer ping rate: 30 per second. 5 per second (default) is really slow. On my 2nd DDMI server i actually go up to 50 per second. If your networking group doesn't mind and doesn't see a problem, I would suggest going above 30. Try 50-60 if possible.

Scanner deployment
Download current scan file before running scanner: yes (not necessary, but I like it)
allow downgrade scanner version: yes (personal preference i needed to downgrade some scanners at some point)

Scan Processing
import file data: yes
SAI: auto, baseunixos, master, unix, user

Expiry
I use a very fast deactivation / purge schedule , 1 week and 2 days to deactivate everything, and 2 days to purge everything after that, but I wouldn't reccommend this until you are comfortable with how DDMI works.

Reports Display
Number of records to show: 200

~Jeff
0 Likes
Ali kazmi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

thanx jeff for you help, I canâ t give more than this coz it will show this thread is close but I will give you highest at last, coz you provided a great help.
jeff are you sure that rest of system Configuration settings can be set to default for this kind of environment, there wonâ t be any problem? and is it recommended from HP that you can set these as default?.
0 Likes
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Well I cant speak for what HP would recommend for your environment, but I'm using the defaults for everything except what I mentioned above, and it works pretty well for me and my environment.

From 1 user to another, I would advise using all the defaults, but take an extra look at the ones I pointed out above. Once you get started and get more familiar with everything, you'll understand what settings need to be tweaked.

I noticed in another post you are on 2.21. That is VERY old and there have been significant enhancements since then... you should upgrade to 7.70 if possible!

~Jeff
0 Likes
Ali kazmi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanx alot jeff i think its enough for me. in another reply you have mentioned that you wrote query for specific report, kindly could you please provide me steps how & where can we write these queries for reports(steps for writing query) and where we get these reports after writing these queries ? please provide me help in this regard as i was just thinking to ask you about this, and could you please share me your email ID or send me email at given ID,
ali_syed_9@yahoo.com
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.