Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. jowillia Absent Member..
Absent Member..

DDMi 7.7 agentless scan failed with error 5 / 53

Hi,

Whilst trying an agentless scan of a windows 7 machine, DDMi server shows the following in the scan log (ip and account masked):

43.log Installing on *.*.*.* (workgroup="") using RPC.
43.log Using "'*****\*****'".
43.log Successfully connected to "ADMIN$" .
43.log Unable to contact service control manager, error code 5.
43.log "Unable to contact service control manager, error code 5." error error=-53
43.failure

The account used has full admin rights to the target host.

Any suggestions for further troubleshooting ?

Thanks,
John
0 Likes
9 Replies
Steven R Lee
New Member.

Re: DDMi 7.7 agentless scan failed with error 5 / 53

Although you are connecting to the ADMIN$ share there appears to be an issue with your access. The error codes that are listed are typical Windows error and generated from the OS. Error code 5 means the access was denied while Error code 53 means the network path was not found. There is many reason and answers for this typical type OS response. In some cases it may be something overlooked that allow the scanner to be executed.

I would look into the permission and see if there is something that is not allowing you to execute the correct process.

As stated, there are many answers to this error and debugging this here may prove to be difficult. If you are unable to correct the issue I would open a ticket with support so they can work the issue more directly.

There might be a knowledgebase article that may help in this situation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Tmac_2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I noticed this error as well on some windows 2008 R2 Servers

this looks like it cant start the temp agent that runs during the agentless scan.

I would suggest opening a ticket with Support.

0 Likes
Alain Eid_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi John,

I am facing the same error on all my 2008 R2 servers, and I've disabled UAC on them but still with no luck;

where you able to find a solution?

I would really appreciate your help;

Thnak you

Alain
0 Likes
_Jaime_ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

We're using agent deploy and we are getting the same error. We are only trying in a Windows 7 machine for now, but it seems that the user account is unable or do not have the privilege to do the action. The user has full admin rights.

Error msgs are:
Successfully connected to "ADMIN$" .
Unable to contact service control manager, error code 0.

Successfully connected to "ADMIN$" .
Unable to contact service control manager, error code 5.

Do anyone have any news about this?

Thanks,
Jaime
0 Likes
Absent Member.. jowillia Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi ,

I didn't find the specific answer. We made a decision to use manual deployment and run only agent based scanning.
It is possible that on 2008R2 and Win7 that the new version of the agent being installed as an interactive service is causing your problem. Check you event logs for warnings.

I have a case open with support on this and an enhancement request has been created to fix this, since the service is not interactive.
When/if a knowledge document is released, I'll post a link here.
0 Likes
Gordon Milton Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm also experiencing this problem on Windows 2008 R2 does any of you have a solution???

Regards
Gordon Milton
0 Likes
Absent Member.. BillAshton Absent Member..
Absent Member..

We have used the steps in KM1257884 listed above with some success, so defiantly try it. Another thing that causes this error is File and Print sharing turned on, you would need to check each device you are scanning to see if that is the case. Maybe your Server/Workstation Admin team could assist.

Bill.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. driekus77 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Do you have any problems with machines after activating this solution
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.