Williams, John Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Deploying a Mac OS X Agent

Does anyone know how, or if there is way, to automate or semi-automate the installation of a Mac OS X discovery agent?

I have no Mac person on staff, so support is minimal. I've looked at the recommended method in the documentation on how to manually install the agent using the .dmg. However, there are 200-300 devices to touch and they are geographically dispersed.

I understand that our desktop support bunch can remote in to most of these devices in an automated fashion to deliver some types of software updates. Unfortunately, we do not have the knowledge on hand to script a deployment of the .dmg agent package.

Have any of you been successful doing this and would you be willing to share?

Thank you for your time.
0 Likes
5 Replies
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Deploying a Mac OS X Agent

I will leave it up to someone from HP to answer officially...

But in my personal experience, you only have a couple options when deploying Mac agents:
#1) Manually install
#2) Get the agent packaged/deployed through your companies deployment application.

Since you have explained that neither of them are really options, I dont believe there is a 3rd.

The only thing I would do if I was in your scenario, is put the dmg file out on a network drive, and start e-mailing all the Mac users and tell them to get it and install it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help 😞

~Jeff
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Thank you Jeff. Maybe I should buy me a mac for dummies book. 🙂
0 Likes
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do your macs have SSH running on them? If yes, there is a sample script attached to a KB entry somewhere on the support site (if I remember correctly) that you could modify to do that.

Either that or you need to figure out what "remote administration" type features MAC has.

Sorry, I'm not a mac expert either.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

Thanks Matt and Jeff! I think we may have a solution. When the ".dmg" file is unpacked, it contains a ".pkg" which, I'm told, can be used by the tool our desktop folks push upgrades and installs to the mac devices in our environment. I guess we'll see. Thanks again!
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.

closed
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.