Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

ESX/GSX DDMI 7.70

Jump to solution

I'm pretty clueless when it comes to VM technology. I've tried to read the Reference guide and older posts but can't find the answer to my question.

My main objective: I would just like to be able to inventory the ESX/GSX hosts.

Right now I am getting SNMP data back about these hosts, but I am looking for more detailed information, like processors, etc. I'm inventorying all the VMs separately fine, and don't care to establish a relationship with the host. All I'm trying to do is gather more detailed hardware information about the ESX/GSX hosts.

Per the documentation:
--------------------------------------
Inventory VMware hosts
DDM Inventory does not support Agent or agentless scanning on VMware host machines. To obtain inventory information from VMware hosts, you must select the Inventory VMware hosts option in the Virtualization profile. DDM Inventory will then collect inventory information for VMware hosts when running VMware discovery process on VMware hosts or VirtualCenter that manages these hosts.
--------------------------------------

I just checked the option to "Inventory VM hosts" and activated the changes...

I dont understand the last sentence: "DDM Inventory will then collect inventory information for VMware hosts when running VMware discovery process on VMware hosts or VirtualCenter that manages these hosts."

Do I still need to put in credentials with 'retrieveProperties' access to get the inventory? I guess I dont understand how DDMI can inventory those servers without an agent or credentials?

Thanks!
Jeff
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: ESX/GSX DDMI 7.70

Jump to solution
Yes, DDMI will need credentials. The help looks wrong there. It should say

... you must select the Inventory VMware hosts option in the Virtualization profile AND PROVIDE CREDENTIALS.

Just like SNMP needs credentials, VMware needs them too.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Yes, DDMI will need credentials. The help looks wrong there. It should say

... you must select the Inventory VMware hosts option in the Virtualization profile AND PROVIDE CREDENTIALS.

Just like SNMP needs credentials, VMware needs them too.

View solution in original post

Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
"Credentials" meaning an account on the ESX with 'retrieveProperties' rights ?

~Jeff
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Yes, I would think. I don't have ESX. Try it. VMware discovery is almost instantaneous.

Configure credentials.
Activate changes.
Wait 1 minute.
Run Update model in the device manager
Wait 1 minute.
Check the "V" log button in the diagnostics panel.
Highlighted
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
This: "DDM Inventory will then collect inventory information for VMware hosts when running VMware discovery process on VMware hosts or VirtualCenter that manages these hosts."

Means: for every IP address that is in range, discovery will try all the vmware credentials listed.

It really works just like SNMP.

I think the order is:

ICMP Ping -> SNMP -> VMware -> Agent Update -> Scan

Of course it would skip any steps you don't have configured.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.