Honored Contributor.. Kostas Dimakis Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Layer2 network discovery

Jump to solution
Hello forum,

I wanted to know if Layer 2 discovery is supported by DDMi. I mean, can we see in the network map two Layer2 switches connected through their ports at L2 level? i.e. Switch A, Ethernet port 1/2/1 connected to Switch B, Ethernet port 1/2/2.

No IPs and logical subnets, just plain Layer2 (MAC level) connectivity.

Is this supported by DDMi in general?

I am new to it and as hard as I am trying I cannot make it do a L2 discovery. It finds my switches and routers, it shows the L2 ports but then it shows in map only the connections between the devices and the Logical Subnet at Layer3 level (meaning only for those that have an IP address).

I wonder if I am doing something wrong or this is out of the product's capabilities.

This capability is very crucial for me because I want to provide availability of the links to my customer for all links (port to port) even if they don't have an IP address.

The fact is that is sees all these MAC ports and knows if they are operational or not, BUT IT DOES NOT UNDERSTAND TO WHICH PORT ON ANOTHER DEVICE ARE CONNECTED.

Is this normal?

Thanks in advance for your responce. Points always granted.

Kostas

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Adam Evans Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Layer2 network discovery

Jump to solution
Kostas,

The initial license (the 5 licenses that you get when you install the product initially) does include 5 licenses for Topology, however, you will not be able to purchase new Topology licenses. When you apply any new permanent license, the existing 5 Topology licenses will go away, since it is no longer part of the product.

Thanks,
Adam.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
9 Replies
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
You have network topology license correct?

Do you have a lot of devices? If yes, do you have the poll rate site high enough?

Is your system been running at least 1 day?

What exceptions are showing up for the devices?

Any errors showing on the home page?

Did you check for errors in the discovery log? (Check for the Topology Engine)

2010-08-25 17:59:45,136 ovedTplgEng[3572]: INFO - 12 mins: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It tells you how long it has been running. Check the time is at least several hours.

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
First of all thank you Mathew for your response and interest.

Then I suppose the answer to my question is YES it does shows Layer2 topology (?) but I am something missing or not doing correct. Am I right?

In this case, these are the answers to your questions:

You have network topology license correct?
--- I am working with the default license of 5 devices. CT needs to see the functionality of L2 discovery and then buy the product.

Do you have a lot of devices? If yes, do you have the poll rate site high enough?
--- I have just 4 devices: 1 Router and 3 Switches connected between them in a lab. Please see also attached network topology I am trying to build also in DDMI.

Is your system been running at least 1 day?
--- I have left it running about 1 week. It discovered all devices, all their interfaces, all their ports, all L3 connectivity (IP to Logical IP subnet, etc.) BUT NOTHING FOR LAYER2 CONEECTIVITY, meaning connection from port to port from one swtich or router to another.

What exceptions are showing up for the devices?
--- No exceptions.

Any errors showing on the home page?
--- No errors.

Did you check for errors in the discovery log? (Check for the Topology Engine)
2010-08-25 17:59:45,136 ovedTplgEng[3572]: INFO - 12 mins: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It tells you how long it has been running. Check the time is at least several hours.

--- No errors, that is why I am thinking if this is the product/s default behaviour and does not really have this L2 discovery capability.

I have also seen a demo in HP's Software Democenter and there was nowhere this L2 connectivity. But the manual claims it does exist. So I am totally confused.

Thanks,
Kostas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Kostas,

You should note that HP is no longer offering the Topology option for DDMI, so if this is a new customer, they will not be able to purchase DDMI Topology. I would suggest that they have a look at NNMi to accomplish what they want.

Thanks,
Adam.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Thanks Adam,

but this means no topology at all? not even Layer 3 connectivity? no Network Map at all?

I don't get it. I am using DDMI 7.70 with the demo license now for my CT and I see it has Topology. You mean that when I will ask for the permanent license it will remove the Topology at all?

And, guys please ... HAS ANYONE EVER MANAGED TO DO A LAYER 2 DISCOVERY WITH THIS PRODUCT? ANYONE ... ANYWHERE ... HAVING A SCREENSHOT THAT PROVES THIS?

I am getting vague responses from HP that this is not so good in DDMI but noone accepts that this is not in the products' capabilities. Am I true ... or I am doing something wrong?

ANYONE THAT HAVE DONE IT?

Thanks,
Kostas
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Kostas,

The initial license (the 5 licenses that you get when you install the product initially) does include 5 licenses for Topology, however, you will not be able to purchase new Topology licenses. When you apply any new permanent license, the existing 5 Topology licenses will go away, since it is no longer part of the product.

Thanks,
Adam.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Thanks Adam for your clear answer.

I will immediately raise a call with HP support because if this is correct then for our case DDMI cannot help.

Thanks for your help.

PS ... even with the Topology license valid, have you ever been able to present in the Network Map, Layer 2 connectivity info?
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Kostas,

Unfortunately, Topology is not my strong suit, so I'm not sure if the information you're looking for is possible with DDMI Topology. Others on the Forum may have more information on that.

Thanks,
Adam.
0 Likes
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
DDMI can build a complete layer 2 map. However as Adam mentioned, for new customers you should use NNMi.
0 Likes
Honored Contributor..

Jump to solution
Thanks all for your help.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.