Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
Craig_H Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Recognizing Microsoft SQL Editions

Hi,

I have a requirement to be able to determine which editions of Microsoft SQL server 2005 and 2008 we have in our environment.  According to the Oct 2011 Master SAI,  DDMi does not recognize the Standard or Enterprise editions of SQL 2005 and 2008.  Given the popularity of Microsoft SQL I would think that these would be included in the Master SAI unless there is good reason for them not be.

I know and am willing to teach them to the SAI however, before I go down that path I want to know is there a reason why Standard and Enterprise editions are not recognized "out of the box"???

Thanks for your time and input!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
6 Replies
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Recognizing Microsoft SQL Editions

Tough to say.  In my footprinting experience... sometime's there is no difference between Standard and Enterprise except for the way that your company has purchased licenses. 

In other words (and i havent gone down this path yet for this particular app, but i've hit it for a lot of apps), if you went through and tried to create 2 footprints for SQL 2005 Standard and SQL 2005 Enterprise... you would find the EXACT same file size / file signature / file types / etc. 

HP does have footprints for SQL Server, version is just called "2005" and "2008".  When you try to create footprints for your 2005 Standard and 2005 Enterprise... make sure you reference those footprints from HP and verify that the footprints you are trying to create is different.  Typically for something like SQL Server... I would just look at the "Main" file according to HP:  SQLSERVR.EXE  .. find that in your environment, and see if it's different.

If this isn't the case for your this particular app... you can always find out who has SQL 2005 Standard and SQL 2005 Enterprise... open a ticket with HP and send them the scan files and some other data, and they will add it to the Master Library in the next couple months.

~Jeff

0 Likes
Craig_H Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for your reply.  I am finding there is no difference between the files on standard and enterprise.

0 Likes
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So in that case... DDMI has done really all it can do. 

DDMI isn't (right now) able to read key information from software installs, which would probably assist. 

If you bought 50 Enterprise and you have 49 SQL 2005s installed... you are good to go. 

If you have a mix of Enterprise and Standard purchased... you'll probably need to do some manual verifications of that.

~Jeff

0 Likes
Absent Member.. monnewbie3 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Maybe you could use a combination of the SAI tables and the HwOsInstalledApps tables, perhaps the windows install name would be able to distinguish between Enterprise and Standard.

-M

0 Likes
RobC_TR Absent Member.
Absent Member.

SQL Server will provide this information and tell you which version it is.  There's a number of methods listed here, would any work?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321185

Worse case you can get SQL Server to export the version information to a text file on a schedule (for refresh and patch updates) and read that file.

0 Likes
Craig_H Absent Member.
Absent Member.

M... thanks for the suggestion.  I did explore that and found the HwOsInstalledApps table only shows the version and not the edition for SQL 2005 & 2008. 

Rob thank you for the link.  This is really helpful for my requirement.  I did go down the path of having DDMi get the edition info out  the registry.  I found that with 2005 the instance number is included in the path that has the edition key.  For 2008 the instance name is included in the path.  I will have to try a different approach as the instance number/name.  Getting SQL server to export edition info to a text file may be the best option although would require coordination with our DBA's. 

SQL 2005

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.<InstanceNumber>\Setup Key: Edition

SQL 2008

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10.<InstanceName>\Setup Key: Edition

Thanks again to everyone for your assistance!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.