Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Software Utilization -- increased device resources?

I'm considering finally turning on Software Utilization. A couple questions:

#1) Does having software utilization enabled require more resources / longer scans on the end-device that is being inventoried?

#2) I was reading through the documentation and was confused by this in the C&C documentation on page 91:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The time period for which the software utilization is collected (31, 90 or 365 days) is configured in the Administration > System Configuration > Agent communication > Utilization period setting.

In Enterprise Mode, the utilization period is automatically transferred to the managed device by the DDM Inventory agent. In Manual Mode (only software utilization portion of the agent is installed), the agent media is generated automatically with the correct software utilization period embedded.

Only the agent media files for the current version of the product are updated with the correct utilization period. Any other files in the LiveAgents directory (for example, from previous releases) are not updated.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The last paragraph has me a little confused. So I'm on 9.30, with 7.70 agents set on my server. So my 7.70 agents will NOT be updated?

What if I found the rawmedia and put the rawmedia in the rawmedia folder so the agents could be re-generated?

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Software Utilization -- increased device resources?

If you're going to use Enterprise Mode, then numbers embedded in the agents don't matter. The server current configuration will override it.

The scan time on the end device takes marginally longer (a few seconds) when usage is enabled.... the scan file needs to collect the usage files which were pre-generated.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Thanks Matthew --

I still think I'm confused on the difference of terminology between "Enterprise Mode" and "Manual Mode"... but i dont think that matters at this point anymore.

I created a new agent/scanner profile and tested the Software Utilization on my DDMI server.

It looks like my DDMI server got the utilization settings... and now has a couple more services running:
-discusge.exe 1824 k
-discfcsn.exe 432 k

I think I can figure it out from there. I'm just trying to gather some data to see what kind of impact this will be to machines. If I'm adding 2 new running processes to 16,000 machines, I will probably need to get some permission first 🙂

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Likes
Matthew Darwin Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Manual mode is when you want to just run the usage monitoring separately from the agent.

Thing of manual mode like this:

- don't want to use DDMI agent
- want to collect scan data manually eg
during login script
(or using "agentless scanning")
- want to collect usage information
- in this case, you need to deploy the
usage monitoring standalone and the
configuration needs to be embedded in
it.

0 Likes
Absent Member.

In Windows, there is one extra process that runs called "DISCUSGE.EXE". This isn't installed as a separate service / etc, but this runs 24/7 alongside DISCAGNT.EXE.

My question is...
In UNIX... the agents were manually installed by the UNIX teams. If I turn on "Software Utilization" for the UNIX... is there a similar 'process' that runs on the UNIX 24/7? Right now I think DISCUSGE runs 24/7 on the UNIX devices. So should something like "DISCUSGE" also be running on UNIX devices?

Our UNIX teams only configured DISCAGNT to be called back up upon boot-up. Do they need to call up DISCUSGE as well? Or since they are calling DISCAGNT, will DISCAGNT know to call up DISCUSGE just like the Windows Service knows to call up both processes?

Thanks,
Jeff
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.