Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
kondareddy_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

UCMDB with DDMI and DDMA installation

I want to install UCMDB application with DDMI and DDMA agents in my environment.

I am aware of installing UCMDB application. but i am not sure how can i install DDMI and DDMA agents and purpose.

How can we make DDMi Server as well as client?

Thanks for your help in advance.
0 Likes
19 Replies
Established Member.. rekha chinnappa
Established Member..

Re: UCMDB with DDMI and DDMA installation

Hi

DDMA comes with UCMDB installation package itself "HPDiscoveryprobe_v804.exe". You can install the DDMA by running the exe file. But this DDMA has inbuilt mysql database. So if u have anyother mysql instance uninstall it or stop before the installation of DDMA. This will install two service separately for DDM probe.

If u want to install DDMI,u need to have win 2003 or 2008 server. During installation select the server if ur installing the server. Server will install the client component also. If u dont have snmp installed in ur server, then it will prompt for installing snmp. Check tat snmp to install and continue the installation by giving next. Once the installation is over, it will ask for restart. Restart the system to complete the installation. u can open DDMi only when the apache ssl and web server starts. Service will take some time to start. Do not start any services manually. But the startup type will be manual for many of the DDMI service. But do not start the services manually. once the services started, open ur browser and type the ip or hostname to view the ddmi screen.
Hope this may help you.

Regards

Rekha
0 Likes
Steven R Lee
New Member.

To collect data from a device or asset using DDMI you need to use the DDMI Agent to connect and retrieve data from the device.

A DDMI Server can control the deployment of the DDMI Agent and controll the connection to a device using the agent or agent-less inventory process. All of this is covered in the documantion. You need to connect to a device and have proper login credenitials to collect the information.

Similar to a discovery probe, DDMI has a solution called Aggregate collection. An Aggregate Server solution allows you to build mutiple DDMI discovery and inventory servers (up to 50 DDMI Servers or 500,000 devices). Then using a central DDMI Server, called the aggregate server, data is collected from the DDMI discovery and inventory servers to a central database.

You cannot install UCMDB or DDMI server on the same system. They must stay as seprate servers.
0 Likes
kondareddy_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks a lot for Rekha and Steven for posting reply.its really helpful to me.

i have one concern?

DDMA its comes with UCMDB , in this also client and server versions are there ?

we need to deploy DDMI and DDMA both in environment or DDMI is enough.

i am very clear about DDMI, could you kindly explain little about DDMA .

Kindly clarify this ASAP.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Gail D Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Steven,

Do you have to have the aggregate server to collect data? My customer did not purchase the aggregate license.

Thanks,
Gail
0 Likes
Neeleshk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I'm installing the HP DDMA tool for a POC.

It seems it is not possible to install HP DDMA without HP CMDB tool.

Can I install both HP CMDB and HP DDMA on a single virtual machine or will I need two separate ones as it might give database level complications?

Also, since I'm using a VMware virtual environment,is it not recommended to install CMDB on a virtual environment?

If anyone can throw some light on my questions would be a great help 🙂

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
figenkum Contributor.
Contributor.

Hi Rekha,

You can install UCMDB and the DDMA probe (version 9.05) and a separate DDMi server. The DDMA or in other words the Data Flow probe can only be installed together with UCMDB. We can say that the UCMDB is the brain and the DDMA is the hands of the software. DDMI can be a separate install.

However, have you considered using UCMDB 10.01 which is Universal Discovery and is the upgrade of DDMI and DDMA. If you already have a DDMi implementation you can still use the current agents from the DDMi implementation.

Hope this helps.

Figen

HP Support
If you find that this or any post has resolved your issues please mark it as solved.
0 Likes
figenkum Contributor.
Contributor.

You do not need to have an Aggregator license, Aggregator license is only required when you have more then one DDMi server and you would like to have them Aggregated. If you have more then one DDMI server collecting the data and would like to have an Aggregator you will need an Aggregator server and license. This server will work as a large container collecting all the data from the separate DDMi server.

HP Support
If you find that this or any post has resolved your issues please mark it as solved.
0 Likes
figenkum Contributor.
Contributor.

The UCMDB server and the DDMA (Data Flow Probe) Can be installed on the same server. You may need to use a separate server for the database server. It does support having the UCMDB and the DDMA on VMs, check the UCMDB Compatibility matrix  and Deployment guides.

http://support.openview.hp.com/sc/support_matrices.jsp#UCMDB

However make sure you have enough dedicated resources for the VM. 

HP Support
0 Likes
Neeleshk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Have installed UCMDB+mssql db on a vm and DDMA on another vm.
The respective consoles are not getting opened in any vm.
can anybody suggest some workaround?
0 Likes
figenkum Contributor.
Contributor.

Try installing the UCMDB and the DDMA probe on one VM, and keep the MSSQL on another VM. Also, how are you trying to connect? Is there any error messages? Are the services up? Can you start the Status of UCMDB from Programs?

You can also check the UCMDB support forum and ask your question there.

HP Support
0 Likes
Neeleshk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Okay.

Scenario1: (existing)

I have UCMDB+MSSQL on one vm.

UCMDB services are up and the server status is UP for all the components.

These 2 VMs are both in workgroup. Is this the issue why are they not able to communicate with each other?

Scenario2:

CMDB+Probe in one VM and MSSQL in another.

Would go with this one if the scenario1 fails.

0 Likes
Neeleshk Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Updating more..

Scenario1: (existing)

I have UCMDB+MSSQL on one vm and DDMA probe on another.

UCMDB services are up and the server status is UP for all the components.

These 2 VMs are both in workgroup. Is this the issue why are they not able to communicate with each other?Do they need to be in a domain?

Scenario2:

CMDB+Probe in one VM and MSSQL in another.

Would go with this one if the scenario1 fails.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Michael Foy_1 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

If I am entitled to 1500 DDMI licenses and 1500 DDMA.  Can I discover 1500 hosts through DDMI, and another (different) 1500 through DDMA?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
figenkum Contributor.
Contributor.

You will need to check with your Account Executive about the licensing issue.

Thanks

HP Support
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.