Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Virtual Discovery issue

I have 3-4 VCENTER servers that I've been query'ing.  Ever since the last DK, only 1 of them has run the "Virtual Discovery" properly.

Even if I try to force a "Run VM Discovery" ... nothing seems to be happening.  I can't get any activity in the Virtual Discovery log.  I'm currently purging the devices and letting DDMI re-discover them.

I do find it odd that 1 of the VCENTERs actually ran the VM Discovery fine.  I'm also checking internally to see if anything has changed.

I do think it's very weird that i'm not getting ANYTHING in the "VM Discovery Logs"

thanks,

Jeff

0 Likes
7 Replies
kemalates Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Virtual Discovery issue

Hi Jeff,

I don't think it is related to DK patch; at least triggering VDiscovery workflow.

First, I assumed it is due to wrong credentials; but you would see some related messages in VM Discovery logs.

I don't think there is a problem in DE since one of your VCenters is doing fine.

Since there is nothing in the VM Discovery logs, obviously DiscoveryEngine (DE) is not starting Virtual Discovery workflow on those devices.

Then, I thought about a mistake in Configuration, that this IP addr doesn't have active Virtual Discovery Profile, but then VM Discovery logs icon must have been disabled.

We can investigate in under a support ticket, but if you like you can run a quick diagnose;

activate SDK debug logging

force Virtual Discovery workflow from Update panel.

First check the return message in the same panel, if the workflow started

Then check if you see anything in VM Discovery logs; give it a few minutes.

Last search the IP addr in discovery.log file to see what DE is doing for this IP addr.

Based on what we see in those steps, we should have an idea about the issue.

0 Likes
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I already had SDK logging enabled.  I forced one VM discovery and i found the other one from a few hours ago...

These are the 2 entries in my discovery logs about what's going on.  IP's hidden for security purposes 🙂  but if i say 10.<VCENTER SERVER> ... that's my Virtual Center Server.  Both instances are the same VCenter server.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2013-04-29 12:31:39,419 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: INFO - WRITE: 248114.close

2013-04-29 12:31:39,419 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: WARN - Stale VDiscovery session for node 163350 (10.xxx.xxx.xxx) will be deleted
2013-04-29 12:31:39,435 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: INFO - Scheduling extra VMware discovery session for node=158173, ip=10.<VCENTER SERVER>
2013-04-29 12:31:39,435 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: INFO - WRITE: 266184.open vmwareprobe:https://10.<VCENTER SERVER>/sdk

2013-04-29 12:31:39,451 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: WARN - Received ACS response but no session found: 248114.log "This client is not connected." error error=-53

2013-04-29 12:31:39,451 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: WARN - Received ACS response but no session found: 248114.failure

2013-04-29 16:34:35,794 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: INFO - WRITE: 283575.close

2013-04-29 16:34:35,794 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: WARN - Stale VDiscovery session for node 164497 (10.xxx.xxx.xxx) will be deleted
2013-04-29 16:34:35,810 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: INFO - Scheduling extra VMware discovery session for node=185482, ip=10.<VCENTER SERVER>
2013-04-29 16:34:35,810 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: INFO - WRITE: 297300.open vmwareprobe:https://10.<VCENTER SERVER>/sdk

2013-04-29 16:34:35,825 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: WARN - Received ACS response but no session found: 283575.log "This client is not connected." error error=-53

2013-04-29 16:34:35,825 ovedDiscEng:VThread[5208]: WARN - Received ACS response but no session found: 283575.failure

~Jeff

0 Likes
kemalates Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Jeff,

I am sorry I cannot come up with anything; we will need to investigate this issue.

NodeIDs keep changing and we need to understand what is happening to the devices.

Can you open a ticket with support and provide the following data?

full logs folder

configuration for support page

show-model output of the sample VCenter device

full screen shots of info and diagnosis panels of the same device.

device CSV list

0 Likes
kemalates Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Jeff,

Thank you for submitting the ticket with DDMI Support.

The case is still being investigated; once we conclude the issue, I will post the result here.

0 Likes
kemalates Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

It has been understood that the issue is related to version of VCenters, 5.1.

Currently, VCenter 5.1 is not supported.

There is a related ER for this issue, QCCR1H82574, which can be followed up from SSO portal.

We will wait for this ER to see if a solution is possible, if possible,  when and how resolution will be provided.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Tmac_2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

is there any chance that this will be fixed?

0 Likes
kemalates Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi,

I cannot say yes or no, but Development is working on it. If I hear an update from development, I will post it here.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.