Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. Andrew_Hickey Absent Member..
Absent Member..

What is defined by device_name, device_label and preferredDNSname

Folks,

I have read the examples in the documentation, but still do not really understand exactly where the information is coming from...

So for device_label: The Device_Label field stores a user defined label used to describe this specific Device. It may be a domain name or an IP address.

Could someone enlighten me as to how I define this as a user (these are PING and SNMP scans no agent involved)

Also for device_name: The Device_Name field stores the name of the Device as found in the MIB, i.e., the fully qualified domain name.

Does anyone know the exact place it looks in the MIB for this?

And finally for preferredDNSName: The Device_PreferredDNSName field stores the DNS address of the Device.

Does this mean the FQDN is found on the host, or does DDMI do an "nslookup" to obtain this information?

I have stuggled for a long time trying to understand the underlying methods of population of these types of values, and I am currently attempting to pull network data into AM and struggling more than I should at attempting to gain the right fields to get the "hostname" for a device.

Any pointers would be very much appreciated.

regards

A.

0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Shilei Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: What is defined by device_name, device_label and preferredDNSname

Hello,

I capture a screenshot from Device manage page for SNMP managed device (which you mentioned is pinable and SNMP pinable devices)

A is device_label and B is device_name. C is Device_PreferredDNSNameon this device.

you could do an "nslookup" to obtain Device_PreferredDNSName.

Please let me know if it helps.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Andrew_Hickey Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks for the response,

so for the Device_Name - we set this as the System Name in the MIB

but for the device_label - I can see where you can find it - but how is it populated, where does it actually get the string from?

And for PreferredDNSName - again is this a value stored on the device - and if so where would it obtain this, or does DDMi do a lookup on the IP to populate this value?

Thanks

Andrew

0 Likes
Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

One suggestion I would make to all this that might not be a direct answer to your questions... but may help you out:

When you are talking about the "Device" table and its' fields... you are talking about "Non-Inventory-Scanned Data".  This entire table (basically) is populated by what DDMI can find out about the device through pinging , netbios, SNMP, etc.

The "GOOD" data you will find will be in the hwNetwork*.* tables AFTER an inventory scan.  That will tell you the true host names of devices.

However, if you are talking about network equipment / etc, you obviously won't be able to inventory scan them and you have to rely on the device table.

In my experience, I've found the device label field to be flaky, and device_name field only seems to come if SNMP is enabled on the device.

It depends on how good your company's DNS is.  I see too many times where there is a huge difference between the device LABEL and the hwNetwork.Hostname fields.  Mainly because DDMI finds Device_A at 10.11.12.13 , looks @ DNS, DNS says it's Device_A, but when you do an inventory scan, it's actually Device_B.

I never use Device_Name and Device_Label when I am trying to find out a Workstation/Server's computer name.  It's just too inaccurate.  I look at those hwNetwork*.* tables.

As I said, I know it doesn't directly answer, but hopefully something I said helps you out 🙂

~Jeff

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.