Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Absent Member.. Fred van Kempen Absent Member..
Absent Member..

override.ini file is not working

I am trying to exclude a drive on a Windows server. We have deployed the agents and there are just 2 servers that need an exclusion on a drive.

I am trying to use a local override.ini on those servers but the discovery agent does not seem to read the override.ini.

I located the override.ini in the folder: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Discovery Agent\bin32\

Content of the override.ini:

[exclude]

Dir=D:\

Can anyone advice ?

Has onyone ever used this ?

regards, Fred

0 Likes
3 Replies
Absent Member.. MTWalsh Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: override.ini file is not working

I believe that you need to put the override.ini file in the same directory that the scanner is going to execute from.  I'm not sure this is the same on all windows operating systems, but I found it under c:\windows\temp on the machine I just checked on (win2k8).  Try checking for scan.exe on one of the machines you are scanning and put the override.ini file in the folder you find that in and see if that works.

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Fred van Kempen Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Thanks.

I checked (VM Win2008 server) the 9.3 discovery agent is installed in: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\Discovery Agent. That is also where the scan.exe is located. I just tried 3 servers, all 3 ignore the override.ini

Perhaps there is something wrong in my logic.

After setting the override.ini, I restart the local service HP DDMI Agent.

The I go to the DDMI server, Find the server with override.ini, I execute a Run Scanner.

Refresh the screen several times, I see the scan is active, I see it is scanning the C drive.

That is the drive that I just excluded.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. MTWalsh Absent Member..
Absent Member..

It may still be gathering some information about the files in excluded directories, it is just not opening the files for signaturing.  Here is an excerpt from page 170 of the Configuration and Customization guide:

When excluding files using the override file, the scanner may still store information about the excluded files in the scan file. Adding file entries to the override file ensures that the file will not be opened for any reason, so no file identification, signatures, or archive processing will happen for excluded files.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.