Jeff Sikorski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

unrecognized files cleanup

I'm going through my unrecognized files and trying to clean up the big ones.

1) I create the 'footprint' in my User SAI. 2) I do the 'enrich XML'
3) **I make sure the aggregate\0 folder catches up

However,

The files are still listed on the Reports->unrecognized files->unrecognized files with drill down.

It doesn't appear that my XML enricher cleans up the file database as well.

The weirdness of this report is after i create the footprint / run the xml enricher:

File A will SHOW as being on 500 devices and have 500 copies on the main report screen.

When i click on file A, it will show it being on 300 devices and have 300 copies.

I know this isn't a problem with my footprint. The footprint I created with the SAI is working just fine. I'm using a 'generic' File A , dont care about file size, associated, under it's own 'DONT CARE ABOUT THESE FILES' application that I made.

It just seems like the XML enricher doesn't clean up this list. It appears that over time, this report gets updated and the unrecognized files slowly disappear.

I am curious to know what the process is on the back-end of the File Table... what is the frequency of these files being removed? I would imagine that it's automatic as the scan files get processed or re-processed and the aggregate\0 backlog gets caught up, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

I'm just wondering because i have 2 million unrecognized files, and when i do a bunch of them, i'd like to be able to run the XML enricher, wait for the DB backlog to catch up, and see a nice clean report of the next batch i need to do.

Thanks!
Jeff
0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: unrecognized files cleanup

Jeff,

The unrecognized file reports require significant resources to generate, that's why they are not generated on the fly, it's a scheduled job.

I think this is the reason why you are seeing the files. Try using the "Refresh Data" link at the top of the report. It may take a while to refresh, so just go back later and check the "Report data generated" value.

Regards,
Brindusa
0 Likes
Absent Member.

thanks, that's good to know regarding the data.

I guess I'm interested to know why there is such a difference in the data between that particular report and the Aggregate.File Table. Is that report generated based on the Aggregate.File table or the hidden DB/table?

I have "File_A.dll" on the REPORT that shows as having 3,500 'copies' on 1,897 devices, which is fine and normal, i have no problem with.

When i run a query like
SELECT *
FROM File
Where file_unrecognizeddevicecount > 3000

on the aggregate DB...
... "File_A.dll" doesn't show up on this query. It isn't a timing issue between the report being generated and me running the query. I could run the query 5 seconds after the report gets generated and come up with the same scenario.

There just seems to be a difference between the Aggregate.File table and the Report... and I'm curious as to what it is so I can continue to weed out the big unrecognized files.

Thanks!
Jeff

0 Likes
Absent Member.

Well I think I answered my own question. I was running the query off the File table and was confusing the file_unrecognizeddevicecount column with the total number of file instances.

Thanks though!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.