Package Identity Vault Schema

Idea ID 2781996

Package Identity Vault Schema

I'd like the ability to be able to package the Identity Vault schema so that I can move it between environments.

The package should be an Identity Vault package.

I'd like the ability to package individual classes and their associated attributes, or to select multiple classes.

This should only make changes to the Designer copy of the schema - it remains the operator’s responsibility to manage the deployment of changes into eDirectory.

When the package is added to the Identity Vault object, the schema extensions should be added.

When the package is removed from the Identity Vault object, the schema extensions should be removed.
5 Comments
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
Hard to guarantee removal of schema extensions if they are still in use. It should flag this and refuse to remove package until all objects are cleared of relevant schema in eDir.
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.
@Alex M - that's why I suggested the package should only modify the designer copy of the schema. It would then be down to the admin to make sure that eDirectory is in a state where the schema changes are deploy-able. I don't see a safe way of automating the changes directly into eDirectory.
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Micro Focus Frequent Contributor
Status changed to: Under Consideration

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

We do that by adding generic resources containing .sch file contents to packages.

- Export classes/attributes to a .sch file

- copy/paste contents into "text/plain" resource object

- add resource object to package

To apply package content:

- copy/paste resource object's content into file

- import file into Designer's schema.

Manual steps involved, but at least schema can be versioned and distributed with the other packages that depend on it. Of course it would be super-simple to automate the above, if considerations turn out favourable.

Side note: I actually prefer a driverset package over an ID Vault package because that allows collecting schema resources in a separate library. Resources from ID Vault packages get installed beside the driverset object, which seems kind of odd (or maybe just uncommon).

Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I recall suggesting this a decade or so ago. Probably it's burried somewhere in RMS. Or whatever it was that pre-dated RMS. Might be in Bugzilla, too, since we used to put Designer requests directly in to Bugzilla.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.