Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.

Running Designer on a 4K HiDPI display

Running Designer on a 4K HiDPI display

Recently I changed my work computer, a Lenovo W530 to a Lenovo P50 with a beautiful HiDPI 4K display that has a resolution of 3840x2160.

To be able to see anything on such a small screen (15 inch) with such a high resolution, Windows 10 scales everything to 250%.

This works for modern HiDPI aware applications but many older programs have serious issues that make them either very hard to use or unusable.

Designer is one such application that becomes hard to use, the text is too large but it is sharp, the icons are too small. Many GUI elements are too large or too small.

I was able to find this Eclipse bug that is about this particular problem:

Bug 421383 - [Graphics] Scaling issues on high DPI displays

The bug in question was resolved in the Eclipse Neon release that was published on 2016-06-22. In the bug there was a workaround described for Windows 10, which is what I am using.

Basically the solution is the following:

1. Make sure Designer is closed.

2. Start regedit.exe

3. Navigate to the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\SideBySide

4. Create a new DWORD value named PreferExternalManifest with the value 1.

5. Restart Windows

6. Create a new XML file named: javaw.exe.manifest

7. The content must be:

8. <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="yes"?>

<assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0" xmlns:asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">

<description>eclipse</description>

<trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
    <security>
    <requestedPrivileges>
    <requestedExecutionLevel xmlns:ms_asmv3="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3"
    level="asInvoker"
    ms_asmv3:uiAccess="false">
    </requestedExecutionLevel>
    </requestedPrivileges>
    </security>
    </trustInfo>

<asmv3:application>
    <asmv3:windowsSettings xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">
    <ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware xmlns:ms_windowsSettings="http://schemas.microsoft.com/SMI/2005/WindowsSettings">false</ms_windowsSettings:dpiAware>
    </asmv3:windowsSettings>
    </asmv3:application>

</assembly>

9. You can also download the file content from: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/attachment.cgi?id=251231

10. Save the file in Designers jre directory, where the javaw.exe file resides. In my case since I installed Designer into C:\netiq\idm\apps\Designer452, I needed to put the file in the C:\netiq\idm\apps\Designer452\jre directory.

11. Start Designer as usual.

12. The text and icons will be a little blurry but it's much more usable than before.

Tags (1)

DISCLAIMER:

Some content on Community Tips & Information pages is not officially supported by Micro Focus. Please refer to our Terms of Use for more detail.
Comments
Nice! Would be cool if you could include comparison screenshots, though, so we can see if the trade-off of "text and icons will be a little blurry" is worth the effort.
Thanks you so much!
It worked great for me. Before I applied the recommended solution some designer views were not readable at all on my new laptop.
Elena Ryazanova

I'm still experiencing this bug in august 2019 on version 4.7.3 built on june 2019. This uses a version of Eclipse 4.4.0 from 2014. Naturally this is an unsupported version. Does Microfocus have any plans of upgrading the Eclipse version they use?

Top Contributors
Version history
Revision #:
1 of 1
Last update:
‎2016-06-28 16:22
Updated by:

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.