Commodore
Commodore

4.8 UserApplication Upgrade With Oracle DB

Currently we are attempting to upgrade from 4.7.4 to 4.8 user application.

The documentation is extremely vague and has very little information in it other than saying to run install.sh and then making sure you have the workflow db created.  However when you try and run the upgrade process it gets to the point where it asks for the igaworkflowdb password.  My problem is, it never asks for the actual connection string or anything, so inputting this password does ZERO good when it's not connecting to the DB to begin with.  Where does this connection string need to be created or added.  I'd really not like to nuke the install of 4.7 and do a fresh install of 4.8.  MF vowed this process would be streamlined and efficient but it's hardly that.  From everything I can read and tell MF basically forces you to migrate data that there is no clear upgrade path.  Not only that they lack the documentation on properly migrating data if you're using Oracle and not their built in postgres.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I am unclear, is this your case?

Server A: Tomcat + UA Wars/Webapp

Server B: Oracle DB

On Server B did you upgrade ORacle in place or are you changing to Server C with new Oracle with copy of DB?

If so, I would think that it uses the connect strings defined in server.xml in the <Connections> node.  change the connect strings there.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

Server A: Tomcat + UA Wars/Webapp

Server B: Oracle DB

is the setup,  We added a second Oracle DB per MF instructions since the documentation states you need an engine DB and workflow DB.  Trying to upgrade the UA/Webapps to 4.8, and during the script it asks for the workflowDB admin pw, however the DB that it references is new and to my knowledge are no connection strings in server.xml, just the 3 connection strings used for 4.7 to connect to the previous, single DB.  Currently in server.xml there is no Connections node, there are the connectors for tomcat and the resource auth locations for the previously mentioned connections.  Currently we run 4.7.4 and trying to do the inplace upgrade isn't working, I'm thinking I may have to nuke and completely install from scratch because there is no true documentation that covers this issue.  The documentation only says 

"Create Schema for Identity Applications

Specify when you want to create database schema. The available options are Now, Startup, and File. The default option is Now.

NOTE: You must create igaworkflowdb if you are using msSQL or Oracle assigning the idmadmin user all the privileges for this database."

There is nothing that states how to create the connection for that workflowDB in any documentation other than installation from scratch.The DB has been created on the oracle server but the install information only askes for the DB name and PW but doesn't actually ask for the connection string, just db name and pw.  This documentation is the worst I've ever seen.  MF basically recommends a migration which is what I guess will have to happen since the documentation is so lacking.

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

I've only done it with postgres, but the upgrade installer seems to assume the workflow database is on the same host as the existing application database so it copies the settings and changes the db name and password.  If that won't work you probably will have to manually edit the server.xml file after the install and manually run the db scripts.

0 Likes
Commodore
Commodore

I assumed that was the case and it is the same host but it won't connect.  I've verified the pw is correct, I'm now looking to verify it isn't a port issue.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.