Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
226 views

Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

Hello all,

I'm upgrading my IDM 3.61 environment to IDM 4.01. I'd like to add
package support without having to recreate all my connectors, but I'm
puzzled by the instructions in the documentation. It says to import the
existing driver set, then "delete all objects stored inside of the
driver." I can delete the policies and style sheets, but not the
filter. Does it mean I should delete the _contents_ of the filter?

Next, I checked the IDM 4 documentation for instructions on installing
the packages to the AD driver. The documentation said "For
instructions, see each driver guide at the Identity Manager Drivers
documentation Web site." The AD Driver documentation said "The process
for upgrading the Active Directory driver is the same as for other
Identity Manager drivers. For detailed instructions, see 'Upgrading
Drivers to Packages' in the Identity Manager 4.0.1 Upgrade and Migration
Guide" ... with a link leading back to where I began. Pardon my french,
but what the frack?!

Does anyone have detailed instructions for installing 4.x packages into
an existing driver?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 18:28:04 +0000, Douglas Black wrote:

> I'm upgrading my IDM 3.61 environment to IDM 4.01. I'd like to add
> package support without having to recreate all my connectors, but I'm
> puzzled by the instructions in the documentation. It says to import the
> existing driver set, then "delete all objects stored inside of the
> driver." I can delete the policies and style sheets, but not the
> filter. Does it mean I should delete the _contents_ of the filter?


Geoff is the packaging expert at this point, but I believe that's the
correct answer, yes. The packages install filter fragments specific to
the package, so the end result should be a working filter.


> Next, I checked the IDM 4 documentation for instructions on installing
> the packages to the AD driver. The documentation said "For
> instructions, see each driver guide at the Identity Manager Drivers
> documentation Web site." The AD Driver documentation said "The process
> for upgrading the Active Directory driver is the same as for other
> Identity Manager drivers. For detailed instructions, see 'Upgrading
> Drivers to Packages' in the Identity Manager 4.0.1 Upgrade and Migration
> Guide" ... with a link leading back to where I began. Pardon my french,
> but what the frack?!


Uh, cute. Best bet is to post a comment on the documentation page itself.
That gets routed as a service request to the person responsible for the
documentation, and is the best way to let them know that there's a
problem.


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.novell.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

David Gersic,
>
> Best bet is to post a comment on the documentation page itself.
> That gets routed as a service request to the person responsible for the
> documentation, and is the best way to let them know that there's a
> problem.
>
>


I did that, and I provided my email address so they can contact me
directly if they've a mind to.

Thanks

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

On 6/20/2012 4:08 PM, Douglas Black wrote:
> David Gersic,
>>
>> Best bet is to post a comment on the documentation page itself.
>> That gets routed as a service request to the person responsible for the
>> documentation, and is the best way to let them know that there's a
>> problem.

>
> I did that, and I provided my email address so they can contact me
> directly if they've a mind to.


Don't get me started...

Yes, this aspect of the docs is crap, and non existent.

And alas, Package docs got pushed past the 4.02 release due to lack of
time. Guess what, apparently it is complicated and needs a lot of
effort to complete. Gee, who would have guessed.

Anyway I am miffed.

To answer your specific question there is no simple way to go to
Packages on an existing driver. And there are absolutly no complete set
of docs.

If you are taking the approach of keeping the driver object to save the
associations, then just moving to the full packaged build, you should
delete the contents of the filter. Filter extensions are probably the
worst implemented part of packages.

Though in theory it should not matter, assuming you did not have extra
info in the filter already, you ought to end up with the same result.

But if you empty your filter, then when you add the packages it will get
added on properly.

So the issue is, can you live with 100% packaged version 0 changes?

If so, the upgrade is trivial. do as you suggest in your original post.

You need 20% changes, can live with 80%?

Well then you face a dilemna. What has changed? You REALLY want to run
in Factory Default mode for all your packages if possible. If not, an
upgrade won't work in the future.

So what do you do when you need a different matching rule?

Well two options. 1) MOdify the packages one, but now it is dirty and
not factory defaults.

2) Add another rule in your own package that adds an extra test.

That works when you can do it in an addiditve policy. Where you require
to change existing content, you would need to copy the entire packages
contents into your own, and modify it there.

But now you own that package and it is your problem to keep up to date.

But you can now run with all Novell packages, minus the one you copied,
plus your modified copy of that package.

Confused? You should be. It is actually not that bad, just really
really poorly (as in non-existent docs) documented.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

On 6/20/2012 4:17 PM, Geoffrey Carman,
>
> Don't get me started...
>
> Yes, this aspect of the docs is crap, and non existent.
>
> And alas, Package docs got pushed past the 4.02 release due to lack of
> time. Guess what, apparently it is complicated and needs a lot of effort
> to complete. Gee, who would have guessed.
>
> Anyway I am miffed.
>
> To answer your specific question there is no simple way to go to
> Packages on an existing driver. And there are absolutly no complete set
> of docs.
>
> If you are taking the approach of keeping the driver object to save the
> associations, then just moving to the full packaged build, you should
> delete the contents of the filter. Filter extensions are probably the
> worst implemented part of packages.
>
> Though in theory it should not matter, assuming you did not have extra
> info in the filter already, you ought to end up with the same result.
>
> But if you empty your filter, then when you add the packages it will get
> added on properly.
>
> So the issue is, can you live with 100% packaged version 0 changes?
>
> If so, the upgrade is trivial. do as you suggest in your original post.
>


Okay, now that you've told me it's 'trivial', I feel *really* dumb for
not seeing how to add packages to an existing driver, but I gotta ask
anyway. Where in Designer is this option?

Thanks

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

> Okay, now that you've told me it's 'trivial', I feel *really* dumb for
> not seeing how to add packages to an existing driver, but I gotta ask
> anyway. Where in Designer is this option?


Once you wrap your head around it, Packages are awesome. The
documentation, not so much.

I have a couple of articles on the topic mostly written, just not
submitted, and now with CS no longer doing IDM stuff, not sure about
QMunity yet.

First off, consider reading these articles to get a better understanding
of packages:

http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12208/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-1
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12218/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-2
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12241/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-3
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12246/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-4
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12251/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-5
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12267/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-6
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12275/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-7
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12294/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-8
http://www.novell.com/communities/node/12303/lets-talk-some-more-about-packages-designer-4-part-9


As for adding to an existing driver, well the act of 'adding' is
trivial. Making it work, not so much.

So I am working with a team of IDM devs (Hi Amie, Margie, Liam, Paddu,
Gail) on a large million+ object tree with 50 drivers. We are building
all new changes in Packages. Thus we have existing drivers, and as we
deliver a new feature we make a new Package in the catalog (our own
category, group, etc) and apply it (empty) to the driver.

Then you make your policy object, and when ready (or once it is created)
we right click in Outline view, Add to Package. Select the right package.

Ok, now my package has this conetnt. Repeat as much as needed.

Where the tricky bits come in is when you want to 'consume' an existing
object, and change it in your Package. Well, just Add to Package, make
your changes, then Sync to Package.

Now when you add this package to the driver in Prod, (Of course you work
in Dev, right?) you find all the dirty objects (Little tiny asterisk in
the Outline view) and right click Revert Customizations.

Deploy.

ANd don't screw anything up. 🙂 Linkage will bite you in the tushy for
sure.

Right click any policy object and look at its Package Properties, then
the Linkage Tab and change it from the default of weight of 500 so it
actually places where you want it.

This gets even trickier if all the policies are not yet packaged. So
you need to dev in one tree, then make a test tree (Just in designer, no
real eDir tree behind it needed) and install your driver and package
there to make sure it links in correctly).

And so on...

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

Geoffrey Carman,

>
> First off, consider reading these articles to get a better understanding
> of packages:
>


Thanks for the links; I am working my way through them.


>
> As for adding to an existing driver, well the act of 'adding' is
> trivial.


The documentation says to right-click the ID vault, driver set, or
driver [in Outline View I think, though it doesn't say so] and click
'Properties', then click 'Packages'. I don't see 'Packages' as an option.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

On 6/21/2012 10:43 AM, Douglas Black wrote:
> Geoffrey Carman,
>
>>
>> First off, consider reading these articles to get a better understanding
>> of packages:
>>

>
> Thanks for the links; I am working my way through them.
>
>
>>
>> As for adding to an existing driver, well the act of 'adding' is
>> trivial.

>
> The documentation says to right-click the ID vault, driver set, or
> driver [in Outline View I think, though it doesn't say so] and click
> 'Properties', then click 'Packages'. I don't see 'Packages' as an option.


is your tree set to IDM 4 in Designer?

Double click on the tree (or right click properties). Server list from
the side, then pick a server, Edit, and look at the IDM version.

make sure it is 4.0.x or so. Packages only appear in 4.0 of course.

Make a new tree and it should default to 4.01 for testing.



0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

Geoffrey Carman,

>
> is your tree set to IDM 4 in Designer?
>
> Double click on the tree (or right click properties). Server list from
> the side, then pick a server, Edit, and look at the IDM version.
>
> make sure it is 4.0.x or so. Packages only appear in 4.0 of course.
>
> Make a new tree and it should default to 4.01 for testing.
>
>
>



D'oh! I had installed IDM 4.01 onto a test system and added it to my
project in Designer but it's inexplicably gone now. Our VMware
environment had a bit of a ... hiccup a few days ago; I wonder if that
system fell through the cracks.


Thanks

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

>> make sure it is 4.0.x or so. Packages only appear in 4.0 of course.
>>
>> Make a new tree and it should default to 4.01 for testing.

>
> D'oh! I had installed IDM 4.01 onto a test system and added it to my
> project in Designer but it's inexplicably gone now. Our VMware
> environment had a bit of a ... hiccup a few days ago; I wonder if that
> system fell through the cracks.


Haha! You lost a tree! VM burped and look what came back up! 🙂



0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

On 21.06.2012 17:11, Geoffrey Carman wrote:
> On 6/21/2012 10:43 AM, Douglas Black wrote:
>> Geoffrey Carman,
>>
>>>
>>> First off, consider reading these articles to get a better understanding
>>> of packages:
>>>

>>
>> Thanks for the links; I am working my way through them.
>>
>>
>>>
>>> As for adding to an existing driver, well the act of 'adding' is
>>> trivial.

>>
>> The documentation says to right-click the ID vault, driver set, or
>> driver [in Outline View I think, though it doesn't say so] and click
>> 'Properties', then click 'Packages'. I don't see 'Packages' as an
>> option.

>
> is your tree set to IDM 4 in Designer?
>
> Double click on the tree (or right click properties). Server list from
> the side, then pick a server, Edit, and look at the IDM version.
>
> make sure it is 4.0.x or so. Packages only appear in 4.0 of course.
>
> Make a new tree and it should default to 4.01 for testing.


When we migrated (not the in-place upgrade option) a test environment
from 3.6.1 to 4.0.1, the packages option didn't appear until we removed
the old 3.6.1 server from the tree (in designer)

This isn't relevant if you did an in-place upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.0.1
but worth noting.
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Adding Packages to Existing Drivers

Alex McHugh,
>> Make a new tree and it should default to 4.01 for testing.

>
> When we migrated (not the in-place upgrade option) a test environment
> from 3.6.1 to 4.0.1, the packages option didn't appear until we removed
> the old 3.6.1 server from the tree (in designer)
>
> This isn't relevant if you did an in-place upgrade from 3.6.1 to 4.0.1
> but worth noting.


We're actually planning to do a migration instead of an in-place
upgrade, since the servers need to be upgraded from RHEL5 to RHEL6. It
sounds like I need to migrate the drivers as they are and *then* upgrade
them to the new format, instead of exporting the 3.61 drivers to
Designer, then upgrading them and deploying them to the new servers.


Thanks

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.