Highlighted
Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Adding an entitlement to an existing resource

I think in 4.6 we were able to add entitlements regardless if there were assignments to a resource.

We are finding that sometimes we can remove the assignments in 4.8 or 4.8.1 and then add the entitlement and other we had to create a new resource.

Is there a work around to allow current assignments to stay in place and then add the entitlement?

If not, is there consideration to have this in the future?

6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

It was a bad idea to change the Entitlements on a Resource previously, even though the UI allowed it. 

In 4.8 they are enforcing that you cannot change it after creation.

You can add one to a new Resource but that is about it.  Mostly.

RRSD does not notice such changes and thus you fall out of sync and need to fix it manually.

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

What you need to do is to create a new resource with the new entitlement.

Add that to the role the users are assigned.

Wait for the assignment to synchronize.

Remove the old resource.

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I have not tried this with a change to an existing resource/entitlement, but the latest version of the of RRSD should support "migrate".

Try changing the resource, and the on the RRSD migrate the user, which should kick in a full recalculation of roles/resources. It might work, it might not.

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

The problem is that RRSD will check that the resource is assigned, it is unclear if it will fix a missing Entitlement value.

Be curious to see what would happen on a migrate in that case.

When there is an nrfRequest their is a thing to do.

When it is a migrate of a user it has to look at the user and figure out what is needed.  UNclear what it uses to do that. I have a question open on that case.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

If you remove the resource assignment, you should be able to edit its entitlements, then re-assign it.
If you don't remove the resource assignments first, you (can't) change the entitlements on it. Sort of. You can, but it doesn't work.
In IDM48, you can't edit resources at all in the UI, but you can via SoapUI.
If I recall correctly, in IDM481, you can edit an unassigned resource in the UI, like you could in IDM47x.
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

also changing it via LDAP is not that hard. But still, better to use a 'supported' approach. (Show me how you prove it was done via LDAP after the fact?)

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.