Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
295 views

Bundle Edition Driver Activation

I'm still testing with IDM 4.02 Bundle Edition on OES 11 SP1.

Now the first diver complained about required activation and refused to
load. In installed the BE Licence File and the "Activation required" message
disappeared from the Driver Set - but not from the drivers. The first
installed driver still refuses to load, newly installed drivers still show
"Activation required".

I searched the docu but did not find any information what I need to do -
what am I missing?

Thanks,
Mirko
Labels (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation

Mirko Guldner wrote:

> I'm still testing with IDM 4.02 Bundle Edition on OES 11 SP1.
>
> Now the first diver complained about required activation and refused to
> load. In installed the BE Licence File and the "Activation required" message
> disappeared from the Driver Set - but not from the drivers.


Did you use the 4.0.2 BE install media?
In the same menu within iManager, you should be able to view the installed activation licenses and exactly what components are licensed.

> The first
> installed driver still refuses to load, newly installed drivers still show
> "Activation required".


You are aware that the only drivers allowed with the IDM 4.0.2 BE are:

eDir to eDir driver. https://www.netiq.com/documentation/idm402drivers/edirectory/data/bktitle.html
Active Directory Driver. https://www.netiq.com/documentation/idm402drivers/ad/data/bktitle.html

Other drivers (including Null and Loopback) are not licensed with this edition.

So.. if you get "activation required" with a different driver to the two listed above, then that would be "working as designed"




--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation


Hi Alex,

are you shure 'out the engine drivers? I was guessing that the engin
drivers (NULL and loopback) can be used allways. In the "old days" BE
was including all drivers from the standard, but it was not possible to
add other drivers like delimited text, Soap, HR, etc. without upgrading
first to a "real" IDM license.

Regards,

Thorsten


--
tschloesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tschloesser's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=3232
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=50185

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation

tschloesser wrote:

> are you shure 'out the engine drivers? I was guessing that the engin
> drivers (NULL and loopback) can be used allways. In the "old days" BE
> was including all drivers from the standard, but it was not possible to
> add other drivers like delimited text, Soap, HR, etc. without upgrading
> first to a "real" IDM license.


It's spelled out quite clearly here:

http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/b143d3j6.html#b143d6gy



--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation


Thanks Alex,

I was not aware of this. But at the end this makes sense to destingush
between the threr versions of IDM availabe.


--
tschloesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tschloesser's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=3232
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=50185

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation

Alex McHugh wrote:

> tschloesser wrote:
>
> > are you shure 'out the engine drivers? I was guessing that the engin
> > drivers (NULL and loopback) can be used allways. In the "old days" BE
> > was including all drivers from the standard


As an aside, Lothar came up with a workaround, to configure the eDir to eDir driver to talk back to itself, thus functionally offering a loopback driver, but staying within the licensing requirements.

--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation

Alex McHugh wrote:

>
> Did you use the 4.0.2 BE install media?


Yes, I used Identity_Manager_4.0.2_BE_Linux.iso.

> In the same menu within iManager, you should be able to view the installed
> activation licenses and exactly what components are licensed.


It shows:

Company Name: IDENTITY MANAGER BUNDLE EDITION CUSTOMER
Serial Number: xxx
Product Domain Description: For use in production by licensed Identity
Manager Bundle Edition Customers
Component: IDM Metadirectory Engine Limited Version: 4.0X
Component: IDM Driver for Legacy NDS Version: 1.0X
Component: IDM Driver for eDirectory Version: 3.6X
Component: IDM Driver for Active Directory Version: 4.0X

>
> You are aware that the only drivers allowed with the IDM 4.0.2 BE are:
>
> eDir to eDir driver.
>


Hm, I hope this includes the "Bi-directional eDirectory driver"?

Thanks,
Mirko
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation


Hi Mirko,

If the activation code is like the one Alex provided I do not believe
the new eDir driver will be included since it should be listed in the
activation like this
Component: IDM Driver for eDirectory Version: 3.6X
COMPONENT: IDM BI-DIRECTIONAL DRIVER FOR EDIRECTORY VERSION: 4.0X

In the past I had the problem that the shipping activation did not
contain the right Comonent and as a result the driver was not activated
😞

But we received an updated activation (containing the componet)- so at
the end we were able to activate the driver. Even this was a AE license
I hope that at least this driver will be in the BE as well.

Thorsten


--
tschloesser
------------------------------------------------------------------------
tschloesser's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=3232
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=50185

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation

Mirko Guldner wrote:

> Hm, I hope this includes the "Bi-directional eDirectory driver"?


No it doesn't. It's specified both in the activation/license detials you posted and in the following link: http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/b143d3j6.html#b143d6gy

Do you have a specific requirement that can only be met by the "Bi-directional eDirectory driver"?

--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation

Alex McHugh wrote:

> Mirko Guldner wrote:
>
>> Hm, I hope this includes the "Bi-directional eDirectory driver"?

>
> No it doesn't. It's specified both in the activation/license detials you
> posted and in the following link:
>

http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/b143d3j6.html#b143d6gy

I don't see that specified anywhere. There are specified Drivers for
eDirectory and Activer Directory, but not which type of Driver for
eDirectory... do I overlook it somewhere?


> Do you have a specific requirement that can only be met by the
> "Bi-directional eDirectory driver"?


I'll have to re-think about that completely. When I started to deal with
Identity Manager I just found "Bi-directional eDirectory driver" suitable -
I never thought there might be a difference concerning the license.

Thanks,
Mirko


0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Bundle Edition Driver Activation

Mirko Guldner wrote:

> >> Hm, I hope this includes the "Bi-directional eDirectory driver"?

> >
> > No it doesn't. It's specified both in the activation/license detials you
> > posted and in the following link:
> >

> http://www.novell.com/documentation/oes11/oes_implement_lx/data/b143d3j6.html#b143d6gy
>
> I don't see that specified anywhere. There are specified Drivers for
> eDirectory and Activer Directory, but not which type of Driver for
> eDirectory... do I overlook it somewhere?


The bi-dir driver has it's own activation license. You would need to have the following in your activation list to be activated.

"IDM Bi-directional Driver for eDirectory Version: 4.0x"

> > Do you have a specific requirement that can only be met by the
> > "Bi-directional eDirectory driver"?

>
> I'll have to re-think about that completely. When I started to deal with
> Identity Manager I just found "Bi-directional eDirectory driver" suitable -


It is more approachable, especially as it works a lot more like other standard drivers like the AD driver.

> I never thought there might be a difference concerning the license.


Very much so, the Bi-directional Driver for eDirectory is a new driver and is not explicitly required for the use-cases that the Bundle Edition is intended for.
Also the eDirectory to eDirectory driver is the more flexible and capable driver - it just can be a bit more complicated to set up.

--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below...
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.