Highlighted
matt4 Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Cannot Upgrade to IdM 4.8 on Root Install/Non-Root Instance

I am running IdM 4.7.3 engine on a Linux server where eDir software is installed as ROOT, but the INSTANCE is running as a NON-ROOT user (see https://community.microfocus.com/t5/eDirectory-Tips-Information/eDirectory-Conversion-root-to-non-root-instances/ta-p/1775521 for more info).  I tried to upgrade to IdM 4.8 engine, but I have been unable to because of this configuration.  The installer now in 4.8 requires logging into eDir, unlike in 4.7 where it did not.  So when I run the installer as root, it cannot access the non-root instance of eDir.  Of course, I cannot run the regular installer as the non-privledged user either.  There is a non-root install script included with 4.8, but it appears to only work with the tarball install where the eDir INSTANCE owner is ALSO the owner of the installed software (binaries).  So this won't work in this scenario as well.

When running eDir as non-root, I prefer this configuration because then I can use the standard installer for eDir and the instance owner does not have full rights to the binaries.    

I know this is technically not a supported configuration, but has anyone gotten IdM 4.8 engine installed on a server configured this way?  If so, how did you do it?  Thanks!

Matt

P.S. Please vote for my idea to get this configuration supported:

https://ideas.microfocus.com/MFI/eDirectory/Idea/Detail/15380

Labels (1)
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.