Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.
248 views

Custom Reciprocal Attributes


I'm looking at tidying up our externally written SAP HR driver, which
has an awful lot of XLT code that I really have trouble understanding.
This is mostly to do with getting our rather peculiar org structure into
eDirectory.
I think by changing the approach a bit I can move a lot of the code to
script which will be a great deal easier for us to support in house.

I'm wondering whether I should take advantage of reciprocal attributes
for some of this, which weren't available to the guy who originally
wrote the driver.
It feels as if there should be the potential to save quite a bit of
coding. The sorts of things I'm thinking of are liking up the manager
and direct reports attributes in Organizational Role objects, and
linking up the Role Occupant attribute with a Custom attribute on the
user object. Perhaps also putting a custom attributes in Organisation
and Organisation Role objects so that the Org role is linked up to an
Organisation object which relates to a team. Is this a sensible way of
going about things, and what gotchas are there that could step out and
bite me?

Jim C


--
jimc
------------------------------------------------------------------------
jimc's Profile: https://forums.netiq.com/member.php?userid=238
View this thread: https://forums.netiq.com/showthread.php?t=2354

Labels (1)
0 Likes
3 Replies
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Custom Reciprocal Attributes

jimc wrote:

> It feels as if there should be the potential to save quite a bit of
> coding. The sorts of things I'm thinking of are liking up the manager
> and direct reports attributes in Organizational Role objects, and
> linking up the Role Occupant attribute with a Custom attribute on the
> user object. Perhaps also putting a custom attributes in Organisation
> and Organisation Role objects so that the Org role is linked up to an
> Organisation object which relates to a team. Is this a sensible way of
> going about things, and what gotchas are there that could step out and
> bite me?


no gotchas I'm aware of. As you say: saves a lot of code, go for it.

--

0 Likes
Anonymous_User Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Custom Reciprocal Attributes

On Fri, 17 Aug 2012 09:54:01 +0000, jimc wrote:

> I'm looking at tidying up our externally written SAP HR driver, which
> has an awful lot of XLT code that I really have trouble understanding.
> This is mostly to do with getting our rather peculiar org structure into
> eDirectory.
> I think by changing the approach a bit I can move a lot of the code to
> script which will be a great deal easier for us to support in house.


Sounds like a good idea to me. I did that here with the PeopleSoft
driver, back when DirXML Script first became available.


> I'm wondering whether I should take advantage of reciprocal attributes
> for some of this


Sure. Why not? It's a good feature, and better than having to roll it
yourself in policies.


--
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
David Gersic dgersic_@_niu.edu
Knowledge Partner http://forums.netiq.com

Please post questions in the forums. No support provided via email.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Custom Reciprocal Attributes

>> I'm wondering whether I should take advantage of reciprocal attributes
>> for some of this

>
> Sure. Why not? It's a good feature, and better than having to roll it
> yourself in policies.


Only comment is that Recip Attrs are 'slow'.

That is, when you set the main attr, you KNOW (or have done the work to
know) the values for both sets. A bird in the hand, as they say.

When Recip Attrs fire it is later, post Command Transform, and then the
engine must query to get the other value. And it is somewhat slow in
doing that. Indexes help of course, but I have seen up to 1 second
delays which can be a lot in a busy system.

Watch in trace how long it takes.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.