rrawson Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Deep link, but not via eMail, for approval activity

Folks,

I have a chicken-and-egg problem; a client wants to leverage ServiceNow ("SN") rather than eMail to send the deep link for an approval activity to a client. We have the integration activity sending a task to SN, but that happens before the approval activity, so the $TASK_DETAILS$ is not yet available. Is there away to construct the URL to deep link to the approval activity before the approval activity has been executed? 

Thanks
Rob

Labels (1)
2 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Deep link, but not via eMail, for approval activity

Once you've notified SN, it can check for pending work for a specific process id: https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-47/identity_apps_admin/data/netiq-identity-manager-provision-web-service-api.html#b95o6ja

That *might* give yo the necessary data to construct the URL.

Norbert

--
Norbert
0 Likes
rrawson Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Deep link, but not via eMail, for approval activity

If I do that I probably have to get the SN folks to code it on their end, because it takes two API calls to get the activity ID, so it can't just be a simple URL. And I don't think it can be done from inside the workflow because the activity ID doesn't exist until you reach that activity. I guess I could try setting it to timeout immediately, making the call I need and then circling back to the same activity with a longer timeout, but that seems both wonky and unlikely to work (I don't think the activity ID will be the same the second time you enter the activity; it looks like it's dynamically generated, but I've never tried that).

I suppose what I could do would be to create a JSP page which would make the two calls and 302 the user to the right page. That could work but I would need to also federate via OSP so that the DN of the calling user would be available. If I were to insert it into the WAR (no angry cards and letters; I know that's a no-no) it might inherit the context of the user but I wouldn't know how to retrieve it or use that to make a SOAP call to IDMProv without retrieving the password somehow as well (might be able to do it will an embedded provisioning admin account but that could become an exploitable security breach unless I am really careful). 

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.