Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
1675 views

Designer 4.7.2.0 released

Designer 4.7.2.0 released

https://dl.netiq.com/protected/Summary.jsp?buildid=DT5FrTmvClk~

https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-47/releasenotes_idm472/data/releasenotes_idm472.html#whats-new

Support for Open Source JDK #
This release supports Azul Zulu OpenJDK 1.8.0_192. Azul Zulu OpenJDK replaces Oracle JRE.
Labels (1)
0 Likes
19 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 1/14/2019 11:24 PM, al b wrote:
>
> Designer 4.7.2.0 released
>
> https://dl.netiq.com/protected/Summary.jsp?buildid=DT5FrTmvClk~
>
> https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-47/releasenotes_idm472/data/releasenotes_idm472.html#whats-new
>
> *Support for Open Source JDK #*
> This release supports Azul Zulu OpenJDK 1.8.0_192. Azul Zulu OpenJDK
> replaces Oracle JRE.


Has any one seen a real performance drop, when starting up Designer, as
of 4.7.2? I did a fresh install, and it is REALLY slow to load.

I checked the hint Rick Moore had suggested years ago looking in one of
the ini files to ensure not every package is listed, and I do NOT have
that case.

Mine is taking like 5+ minutes to load. Once it is up, runs as before,
but startup is super slow.


0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I wonder if you watch the wire as it loads you might see one of those old
silly bugs where a DTD tries to be downloaded from Micro Focus, maybe even
something internal, and since you cannot do that your timeout needs to
lapse before anything actually happens.


sudo /usr/sbin/tcpdump -n -s 0 -v -w /tmp/designer-startup.cap


If that command does not work on your system, get a better OS, and in the
meantime Wireshark may be your friend.

--
Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below.

If you want to send me a private message, please let me know in the
forum as I do not use the web interface often.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Geoffrey Carman wrote:

> I checked the hint Rick Moore had suggested years ago looking in one of the
> ini files to ensure not every package is listed, and I do NOT have that case.


My 4.7.2 copy on Win10 starts up in 1:20.

I've seen that package list appear in
../configuration/org.eclipse.update/platform.xml (not an ini file) with almost
every Designer version up to and including 4.7.2. Whatever they did to fix it
was not complete. But it's easy to recognize: on the splash screen the features
are listed that are loaded, and if that includes driver package IDs you need to
clean up platform.xml.

Another cause of massive performance hits can be AV software. I always exclude
the Designer install folder *and* the workspace folder from on-access scanning.

--
http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/

(If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.)
______________________________________________
https://www.is4it.de/identity-access-management
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 2/14/2019 3:48 AM, Lothar Haeger wrote:
> Geoffrey Carman wrote:
>
>> I checked the hint Rick Moore had suggested years ago looking in one of the
>> ini files to ensure not every package is listed, and I do NOT have that case.

>
> My 4.7.2 copy on Win10 starts up in 1:20.
>
> I've seen that package list appear in
> ./configuration/org.eclipse.update/platform.xml (not an ini file) with almost
> every Designer version up to and including 4.7.2. Whatever they did to fix it
> was not complete. But it's easy to recognize: on the splash screen the features
> are listed that are loaded, and if that includes driver package IDs you need to
> clean up platform.xml.


So I was looking at it, thinking I would test, so I killed Designer and
my text editor informed me it was just updated.

How do you clean it up? Remove all the <feature> nodes?

There seem to be two <site> nodes as parents.

Both are @policy=USER-EXCLUDE



> Another cause of massive performance hits can be AV software. I always exclude
> the Designer install folder *and* the workspace folder from on-access scanning.
>


0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Geoffrey Carman wrote:

> How do you clean it up?


If one of the site nodes has @list with hundreds of package ids (all of which
are driver packages and not Eclipse features), remove it (just the @link). It
should look like this:

<site enabled="true" policy="USER-EXCLUDE" updateable="true"
url="file:packages/eclipse/">

--
http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/

(If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.)
______________________________________________
https://www.is4it.de/identity-access-management
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 2/14/2019 10:31 AM, Lothar Haeger wrote:
> Geoffrey Carman wrote:
>
>> How do you clean it up?

>
> If one of the site nodes has @list with hundreds of package ids (all of which
> are driver packages and not Eclipse features), remove it (just the @link). It
> should look like this:
>
> <site enabled="true" policy="USER-EXCLUDE" updateable="true"
> url="file:packages/eclipse/">


Nope. Mine looks as you suggest. Still takes a long time to start.
Thanks for the refresh.


0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

On 2/14/2019 12:02 PM, Geoffrey Carman wrote:
> On 2/14/2019 10:31 AM, Lothar Haeger wrote:
>> Geoffrey Carman wrote:
>>
>>> How do you clean it up?

>>
>> If one of the site nodes has @list with hundreds of package ids (all
>> of which
>> are driver packages and not Eclipse features), remove it (just the
>> @link). It
>> should look like this:
>>
>> <site enabled="true" policy="USER-EXCLUDE" updateable="true"
>> url="file:packages/eclipse/">

>
> Nope. Mine looks as you suggest. Still takes a long time to start.
> Thanks for the refresh.


So I am sitting here, watching my Designer load. 3-4 minutes so far at
Loading com.novell.idm

This has been happening since 4.72 I think. I rarely restart so I
usually move on to something else and let it load in the background.
But this is getting silly.

It was a fresh install not an upgrade.

I killed it, tried start 4.7.1.1 and it loaded in under a minute. Same
machine.

I assume this is Azul JDK related somehow...

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Geoffrey Carman wrote:

> I assume this is Azul JDK related somehow...


Swap JREs and verify... 4.7.2 still runs with an Oracle JRE and I've also
played with OpenJ9 instead of Hotspot. Uses a lot less memory with persistent
precompiling enabled but in turn slows startup down even more. There's no free
lunch...

--
http://www.is4it.de/en/solution/identity-access-management/

(If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.)
______________________________________________
https://www.is4it.de/identity-access-management
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.