Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Highlighted
holtzp Contributor.
Contributor.

Designer 4.7 takes an excessive amount of time to Deploy

Jump to solution

Hello,

After upgrading my IDM 4.5.5 test environment to IDM 4.7.2 and encountering no issues, I then upgraded my production environment exactly the same way. With IDM 4.5.5 in both environments and IDM 4.7.2 in my test environment, deploying a driver set with Designer only took about 35 seconds. In my production 4.7.2 environment Designer now takes a whopping 5 minutes!

If I deploy each of my five drivers individually they take approximately one minute each, so it's not one specific driver holding things up. I took a packet capture of the deploy and saw really slow LDAP search responses from the IDM engine server. I then noticed its ndsd process was pegged at 100% CPU utilization for the duration of the deployment and then drops back to normal. This issue does not occur in my test environment. Each environment is running the engine on a dedicated OES 2018 SP1 install, and are sharing the same Designer workspace as two separate projects on a Windows 10 workstation. I've since upgraded to IDM 4.7.3 and it's made no difference.

The only difference I can think of between my production and test IDM vaults is that one has 15,200 objects vs 40 objects. Is it normal for Designer 4.7 deployment to peg ndsd at 100% CPU and be really slow with this number of objects? If not, does anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting suggestions?

I've had a SR open on this for nearly two months with no response from Micro Focus except for initial contact the day I opened it, despite my pleas for troubleshooting assistance. My SR# is 101237767719.

Thanks!
Paul

Labels (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Designer 4.7 takes an excessive amount of time to Deploy

Jump to solution

Any NAT involved between your workstation and the Vault?

If you are seeing LDAP queries that are slow, obvious thought is to check indexes.  Care to post the queries you are seeing?

Is there a missing server?  I.e. a server in Designer, but not in the Vault? Something causing failed queries that have to time out?

5 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Any NAT involved between your workstation and the Vault?

If you are seeing LDAP queries that are slow, obvious thought is to check indexes.  Care to post the queries you are seeing?

Is there a missing server?  I.e. a server in Designer, but not in the Vault? Something causing failed queries that have to time out?

holtzp Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Nope, no NAT taking place.

I checked the indexes via iManager and they all show as being Online, and none of the default indexes are missing. I ran ndstrace with debug during Deploy and there were no errors to speak of, including no RECM errors. How should I post the queries? In Wireshark there's 3,209 LDAP searchRequests during the Deploy.

Nope, no missing servers. There's only the one production server, and besides double checking in Designer, I've taken and searched packet captures for DNS lookups (after flushing my workstations DNS cache) and IP addresses of servers that don't belong and found none. There's no failed queries timing out that I can see.

Thanks!
Paul

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

What I meant by check indexes, is look at the LDAP queries and see what it is looking for, and ensure that the things it searches on, are covered by Indexes.  Which is hard, since as you say there are 3209 search requests.

Can you see the timing of how long between request and responses?  Find the slowest ones and look at those first?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

In many cases, I had this issue, when LDAP session between Designer and Identity Vault was "closed" for any reasons (FW, timeout, etc).

I can recommend to "refresh" the session, before than initiate deployment operation. 

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

That is true. With the LDAP protocol change, I pretty much always refresh my connection when doing live ops.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.