Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Designer 4.8.1 if Condition bug or feature?

Jump to solution

Hello

Build id: 20200515

I am working on designer 4.8.1 and i noticed today that in Condition group, if i select  "if-source attribute" i am given strange options which i never seen before,  my experience with designer 4.8.1 is new so i am just wondering is this bug og feature?

maqsood_0-1591803070436.png

where as if you see the documentation:

https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-48/policy_designer/data/ifsourceattr.html

it shows the:

Capture.PNG

Cheers

Maqsood.

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Agree! Official documentation must be updated.
Designer release notes include some info about this "new syntax"
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-48/releasenotes_idm481/data/releasenotes_idm481.html

Support for the <arg-dn> and <arg-association> Arguments for if-dest-attr and if-src-attr Actions#
This release adds the class attributes <arg-dn> and <arg-association> to the if-dest-attr and if-src-attr actions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
The extended syntax for this token from Designer 4.8.1, but it still compatible with traditional syntax from "old" version
0 Likes
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

@al_b  thanks for the quick reply-  may be documentation picture can be updated? 🙂  We are using designer 4.8.1 with Identity manager 4.7.3,  I hope we it's safe to use these new features in the designer as it is backward compatible?

Cheers

Maqsood. 

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Agree! Official documentation must be updated.
Designer release notes include some info about this "new syntax"
https://www.netiq.com/documentation/identity-manager-48/releasenotes_idm481/data/releasenotes_idm481.html

Support for the <arg-dn> and <arg-association> Arguments for if-dest-attr and if-src-attr Actions#
This release adds the class attributes <arg-dn> and <arg-association> to the if-dest-attr and if-src-attr actions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
I had a "similar" experience with query token, which started include "optional" class information.
"New" syntax didn't break "old" code (backward compatible), but definitely "new" syntax will have a problem to run on the "old" engine.

By the way, I also use Designer 4.8.1 and IDM Engine 4.7.3.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Online help in designer is not updated either.

Alas.

Side note: Be careful what you ask for. The response to the notion of this image is outdated of late has been, yank all the images.  I disagree with that decision, but heads up, that may be where we end up.

Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

One picture is worth a 1000 words. Try that argument with the people who are in charge with updating the documentation ... you will loose.

If you look at the Novell Documentation it contained nice graphics, the second NetIQ took over the documentation they started removing them... or just left what was there even if it was 3 generation old.

I've not meet anyone who agree with this, except for the people who are responsible for the documentation. 

Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

I understand why.  Every time they reskin something they have to redo all the pictures.

However, alas, that seems to be their job. It is a shame they would prefer not to do it. I agree it is hard.  I have stalled on updating my Validator book to 1.5 for just that reason.  But that is just an excuse.

It is disappointing.  And there are some pages were a picture REALLY would help and they stripped it out.  Frustrating to the users.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Very very frustrating ..

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

As you and Alex have noted this is a new feature in 4.8 and 4.8.1 finally updated the GUI to match the token.

With some experimentation, if you leave the last two lines, Token and operation token, then it does the usual and assumes current object.

My object is different than yours.  Why did they use the odd words token and operation token?  Why not build the GUI consistent wiith the Source/Dest Attr noun tokens in Argument Builder?  Why change the way?

We all know the answer. Team that did that work is long gone. New guy tasked with this had no idea it already existed elsewhere, so he/she reinvented the wheel, just not as well.  Oh well, whatever.

Consistency would be nice.

It might also help if you remember that pretty much every token is directly mapped t a Java function in the engine.  And usually in Java if you drop parameters the function behaves different so leaving stuff blank, unless it is mandatory usually works.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

In my experience desinger 4.8.1 has some serious issues and i have stopped using this and i have started using Designer 4.7.3 

Designer 4.8.1 it deployed code back to IDV but when testing things it looks like sometimes policy is empty, rules are empty,

sometimes code is there within rule but is not visible from imanager

filter on drivers does not work, even there are there.

Cheers

Maqsood.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I tried to move from Designer 4.7.3 (OSX) to Designer 4.8.0 and had major problems with deployment - it would mess up my drivers. Then I tried with 4.8.1 and it is the same.

I see what you're seeing - it will mark most of the driver dirty in eDiretory and deploy it, and most of my policies are not updated, or empty. Using Compare instead will just extend the nightmare. 

I went back to 4.7.3, which with it's problems is more reliable. 

I still should open a call for it, but as we're not updating to 4.8.x until sometime next year, I can wait.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.