Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Designer 4.8 Early Access: git for packages

Jump to solution

Playing around with Deisgner 4.8 from the Early Access refresh and having watched the demo video, I'm still wondering what development workflow is envisioned by using git for packages. The demo shows how to build and publish packages to git but not how to pull packages out of it again.

Looks like Designer does not store packages in git in as a Package Update Repo (i.e. with site.xml and features/plugins/deprecations subfolders) but only as plugin jars in a flat folder (like in the "plugins" subfolder of an Online Repo) so a git working tree cannot be used as a local Online Repository in Designer.

Git is about sharing with others, so how am I supposed to use a package someone shared through a git repo with me in my Designer projects? Manually import the file into each project's Package Catalog?

I also do not get the idea of both building and publishing to a git repo? Up until now I thought of a git package repo as an alternative to Online Repositories and do not (yet) see a point in putting unreleased packages (that might have their content and build number changed anytime and therefore may cause trouble if distributed and deployed/imported to/from any project other than the one where the package is developed).

Personally I never distribute unreleased packages because their content may change and older build are usually not available anymore. How do others work with unreleased packages? Do you see a use case to put them under version control and share them? How does your dev workflow looks like in that case?

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Designer 4.8 Early Access: git for packages

Jump to solution
Great to see that the final 4.8 version publishes full online repos into git, just like into a local folder. So working trees can be added as package sources as usual.
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have not had a look at the 4.8 yet but in one project I work with packages and svn.

Here we never release anything and just use svn for the packages. This to me is not ideal.

I would prefer if designer could split out the packages so they were not checked in at all.

I n my imagination it would be easier to have a packet management tool and use build/release/publish for packages and the normal git for the driverset.

0 Likes
cpedersen Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Jump to solution

I suppose you can use un-released packages between dev and test, and then only release the package for acceptance.

But yes, I had the same kind of questions when I read about it.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution
Great to see that the final 4.8 version publishes full online repos into git, just like into a local folder. So working trees can be added as package sources as usual.

Jump to solution

Does it make sense for your awesome Parcel Service tool to be enabled to copy between File based Repo's and GIT based repos?  That would be pretty cool.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.