Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Big news! The community will be moving to a new platform April 21. Read more.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Designer command completion missing

I like to use the Designer source editor for normal policy editing as I love to copy-paste and things just happen faster with it. It also has a nice syntax completion feature.

Unfortunately the syntax / command completion stopped working a few days ago. It went absent while using version 4.8.2 and continues to be absent after today's update to latest 4.8.3. I am using CentOS 8 workstation with 64 bit Designer and my target dev IDM is of version 4.8.1.

Usually closing and opening a policy seems to help but not this time. Also tried opening other policies and the result is the same. Restarting Designer does not help either. Also preferences did not seem to include settings regarding completion.

Any help in getting back this feature is very welcome. Thanks.

Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Bump. No ideas about this one?
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

@kuronen wrote:

I like to use the Designer source editor for normal policy editing as I love to copy-paste and things just happen faster with it. It also has a nice syntax completion feature.

Do you mean that it automatically closed opened xml tags or did it more for you until it stopped working?

And which XML editor do you mean exactly?

• the "source" tab in the DirXML-Script policy editor
  • the "NetIQ XML Editor" accessible from Outline's context menu -> Open with...
  • the "XML Editor" accessible from Outline's context menu -> Open with...

If using one of the last two options: did you attach a DTD or XLT?

Vice Admiral

Designer source editor for policies. The first one.
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Did you use that one? It is or used to be a very good tool. It will complete your commands very nicely. Just start writing "<do-" and it will present you with available verbs, as a decent IDE tool does.
Knowledge Partner

I see it working in 4.8.3 now that you describe it. I probably never stopped typing for 500ms after the initial "<" for the content assistant do kick in, so did not stumble upon it before (or forgot - getting old, unfortunately...) Great hint and something to play with!

If it does not work for you (any more), please check Prefs -> XML -> XML Files -> Editor -> Content Assist: Is it enabled? Does the delay fit your typing speed? Which characters trigger auto-suggestions ("-" as in "<do-" does not by default)? Are "XML Proposals" enabled and in top position in the "Default Proposal Categories" list?

Also under "XML Catalogs", do you have the XDS, DirXMLScript and driver filter DTDs listed? My Designer on macOS had a leading "/" missing on 2 out of 3 file paths, so those DTDs were not found (click "Edit" and see if it complains).

PS: just checking on an older 4.7.1.1 Designer on Windows: the XML Catalog entries were all outdated, files not found any more, probably because a Service Pack installed newer versions but did not update the preferences. Which usually would not cause any trouble since Designer does not clean up during updates and keeps all older plug-in versions on disk.

But I usually run a cleaner script after updating to remove outdated plug-ins manually and free some 100MBs. Not sure if this also causes your issue, but it's the first time I see removing outdated plug-in versions actually break something.

Got them all checked and my Linux Designer also had one catalog file missing a leading "/".

After playing around more it seems to be the old bug, just a bit more severe version of it: the completion loses track of the code at some point where it stops making suggestions / completions. Usually closing and opening the policy will resume it but with Designer 4.8.2-4.8.3 it does not. Completion still works with another policy so it is not all dead. Just perma-lost with that particular instance.

Will make a bug report at some point but now is a good time to practice my typing without assistance.

Thanks for help @lhaeger !

Knowledge Partner

@kuronen wrote:
...the completion loses track of the code at some point where it stops making suggestions / completions.

Would be interesting to see if tips over a specific tag or something. You could try to strip down the problematic policy step by step until functionality returns and see what was causing the error. Also: does it stop working for the whole policy or just in some XML subtree?

That issue is kind of passed but I will do some researching when next incident occurs. Will report back here.

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.