Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner
314 views

Designer (windows) and duplicate icons when pinning to taskbar

Can others test this and report back as to whether this works correctly.


NOTE: this ideally should to be performed prior to starting Designer
for the first time post-install. This is because Windows/Explorer
caches this info.

PROBLEM: When pinning Designer 4.5 to the taskbar one often ends up
with two icons rather than one.

Whilst Designer is not running, there is one pinned icon. Clicking on
this ends up creating a second icon in the taskbar which persists until
the application is closed.

This appears to be an Eclipse issue, that can be avoided by editing two
configuration files in the install.

https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=314805#c91

I have performed this configuration on several installs of Designer
4.5.2/4.5.3 on Windows 7/10/2012 R2 and have had 100% success rate.

Can anyone else test?

SOLUTION:
Step 1. Install Designer

Untick the launch after install option. Do not launch Designer yet.

Step 2. Edit the following files and comment out the following line in
each file:
<property name="appName" value="Eclipse"/>

Files (taken from a clean Designer 4.5.2 install + 4.5.3 patch):

<Designer
root>\plugins\com.novell.idm.branding_4.0.0.201509291552\plugin.xml
<Designer
root>\plugins\org.eclipse.platform_4.4.0.v20140925-0400\plugin.xml

Step 3. (Might be optional, but the bug I referenced above recommends
this)
Edit designer.ini and change the first two lines to:

-vm
<Designer root>/jre/bin/server/jvm.dll

Step 4.
Launch Designer, wait until fully launched and workspace is visible.
Right click on icon in taskbar and pin Designer to taskbar.


VERIFICATION:

Quit designer and relaunch, at no point should there be more than one
designer icon in the taskbar.
Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
Labels (1)
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Designer (windows) and duplicate icons when pinning to taskbar

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:14:23 +0000, Alex McHugh wrote:

> Can others test this and report back as to whether this works correctly.


Seems to work.


> NOTE: this ideally should to be performed prior to starting Designer for
> the first time post-install. This is because Windows/Explorer caches
> this info.


Even worked for me, on an already installed and working Designer, with a
few extra caveats.


> PROBLEM: When pinning Designer 4.5 to the taskbar one often ends up with
> two icons rather than one.
>
> Whilst Designer is not running, there is one pinned icon. Clicking on
> this ends up creating a second icon in the taskbar which persists until
> the application is closed.
>
> This appears to be an Eclipse issue, that can be avoided by editing two
> configuration files in the install.
>
> https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=314805#c91
>
> I have performed this configuration on several installs of Designer
> 4.5.2/4.5.3 on Windows 7/10/2012 R2 and have had 100% success rate.
>
> Can anyone else test?
>
> SOLUTION:
> Step 1. Install Designer
>
> Untick the launch after install option. Do not launch Designer yet.


For me, step 1.1 needed to be "unpin Designer from taskbar", having
previously done so.


> Step 2. Edit the following files and comment out the following line in
> each file:
> <property name="appName" value="Eclipse"/>
>
> Files (taken from a clean Designer 4.5.2 install + 4.5.3 patch):
>
> <Designer
> root>\plugins\com.novell.idm.branding_4.0.0.201509291552\plugin.xml
> <Designer
> root>\plugins\org.eclipse.platform_4.4.0.v20140925-0400\plugin.xml


The paths listed here may not be exactly the same. Look for
com.novell.idm.branding_4* and org.eclipse.platform_4* and work down from
there.


> Step 3. (Might be optional, but the bug I referenced above recommends
> this)
> Edit designer.ini and change the first two lines to:
>
> -vm
> <Designer root>/jre/bin/server/jvm.dll


All three of these are required. If you don't do the designer.ini change,
you can't pin "Designer" to the task bar. Instead, it pins a Java thing,
with the wrong icon, which won't launch.


> Step 4.
> Launch Designer, wait until fully launched and workspace is visible.
> Right click on icon in taskbar and pin Designer to taskbar.
>
>
> VERIFICATION:
>
> Quit designer and relaunch, at no point should there be more than one
> designer icon in the taskbar.


Confirmed working here with Designer 4.5.3 on Win7.


--
David Gersic
Knowledge Partner http://forums.microfocus.com
If you find this post helpful, please click on the star below.
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Designer (windows) and duplicate icons when pinning to taskbar

David Gersic <dgersic@no-mx.forums.microfocus.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:14:23 +0000, Alex McHugh wrote:
>
>
> All three of these are required. If you don't do the designer.ini change,
> you can't pin "Designer" to the task bar. Instead, it pins a Java thing,
> with the wrong icon, which won't launch.
>


Note: the ini change affects quite a few things. Mostly good, but you ever
know.

1. You only get 1 process in task manager instead of 2 (designer + Java)
2. Windows Firewall prompts present designer as the app rather than generic
Java.exe
3. There used to be a difference with Max heap size where the DLL is
limited to a lower value. Unsure if this still applies on x64.

>
> Confirmed working here with Designer 4.5.3 on Win7.


Thanks for testing.

--
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface, show
your appreciation and click on the star below...

Alex McHugh - Knowledge Partner - Stavanger, Norway
Who are the Knowledge Partners
If you appreciate my comments, please click the Like button.
If I have resolved your issue, please click the Accept as Solution button.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.